Developing the Novel or Novella
Your upfront cost: $0
- 21 Feb 2022
QS RANKING 2022
Times Higher Education Ranking 2022
On successful completion of this unit, you will be able to:
- Produce the opening of a novel or novella and an outline of the work.
- Exercise higher level editorial abilities through independent reflection, revision and rewriting of the manuscript.
- Locate and appraise appropriate resources to develop the novel or novella.
- Collaborate in the analysis and discussion of the work of others in writing workshops
- Conduct research relevant to the production of a novel or novella.
- A week-by-week guide to the topics you will explore in this subject will be provided in your study materials.
Admission to Master of Creative Writing
No additional requirements
This unit introduces students to planning and researching a long-form creative fiction work such as a novella or novel. It provides students with an opportunity to produce a detailed roadmap of their novel or novella, applying their knowledge of literary genres and drawing on techniques of characterisation, plotting, story arc, and themes that will be developed through intensive weekly writing exercises. By the end of this unit, students will have produced a detailed story outline and the opening to their novel or novella.
- Planning and conceptualisation of manuscript (20%%)
- Reflective Writing (20%%)
- Creative Work (60%%)
Current study term: 20 Feb 22 to 05 Jun 22
Check the learning management system (LMS) of your university for textbook details.