Warning! This unit contains mature content and may not be suitable for some students. Any student under the age of 16 who would like to enrol in this unit must first complete a Parental Consent Form.
Cultural Contexts: Communities and Cultures in Action
Gather up what you've learnt across your cultural studies and think about how you can extend that knowledge. Reflect on your methodologies and approach. Explore cultural studies' legal arenas. Direct your skills towards a new research project.
Your upfront cost: $0
- 28 Jul 2019
This research-intensive university in north-western Sydney offers a range of undergraduate and postgraduate degrees. With over 30,000 current students, Macquarie has a strong reputation for welcoming international students and embracing flexible and convenient study options, including its partnership with Open Universities Australia.
At the end of this subject students will be able to:
- apply cultural studies research questions and methods to chosen contexts, including cultural representations, policies and relevant texts of associated community groups
- develop critical and analytical skills that enable students to identify key problems or issues within a field, research the chosen field and gather relevant information and propose strategies for creative solutions using culturally appropriate methods of communication suited to that context
- reflect critically on their own experiences and use those experiences as a source of information for further cultural studies research.
- Cultural studies and research
- Critical whiteness studies
- Critical legal studies
- Australian cultural studies
- Performance studies
- Discussion forum/Discussion Board
- Online assignment submission
- Standard Media
- Resources and Links
You cannot enrol in this subject if you have successfully completed any of the following subject(s) because they are considered academically equivalent:
You must have successfully completed the following subject(s) before starting this subject:
MAQ-MECX321-Racialised Punishment and the Construction of Nation , or MAQ-CLT310
MAQ-MECX340-Genre Writing , or MAQ-CLT330, or MAQ-CLT340
MAQ-MECX322-Screening (Ab)normal Bodies , or MAQ-CLT320, or MAQ-CLTX300
No special requirements
This subject was previously known as CLT370 Cultural Contexts.
This subject gives cultural studies students an opportunity to reflect on what they have learned - about what kinds of research questions cultural studies asks, the methodologies it uses and the theoretical frameworks it deploys. Students explore the ways cultural studies can be used beyond undergraduate study - for further research, such as Masters or postgraduate research, and for understanding workplaces or other domains of cultural practice.
- Assignment 1 (20%)
- Assignment 2 (30%)
- Assignment 3 (50%)
Textbook information is pending.
Bachelor of Arts
- Major in Ancient History
- Major in English
- Major in Modern History
- Major in Philosophy
- Major in Politics
- Major in Society and Culture
- Major in Sociology
- Major in Creative Writing