Civil Wars and Insurgencies
Understand how and why civil wars and insurgencies begin and end by studying their provenance and how they are fought. Survey the classic texts of Mao Tse-Tung and Che Guevara.
There are no available classes. Find another subject.
This research-intensive university in north-western Sydney offers a range of undergraduate and postgraduate degrees. With over 30,000 current students, Macquarie has a strong reputation for welcoming international students and embracing flexible and convenient study options, including its partnership with Open Universities Australia.
At the completion of this subject students will be able to:
- critically analyse selected insurgencies and evaluate their causes and characteristics
- evaluate selected counter insurgency campaigns in order to review their nature and the outcomes they achieve
- analyse the impact of non-state actors and influence drivers on modern insurgencies
- critique contemporary literature relating to the concepts of insurgency and counter insurgency
- formulate sustained and persuasive written arguments through research and analysis of critical texts, concepts and theories related to insurgencies, non-state security challenges, influence drivers and counter insurgency.
- Discussion forum/Discussion Board
- Online assignment submission
- Podcasting/Lecture capture
- Standard Media
- Web links
- Resources and Links
You cannot enrol in this subject if you have successfully completed any of the following subject(s) because they are considered academically equivalent:
No special requirements
- Assessment 3 (35%)
- Assessment 1 (20%)
- Assessment 2 (45%)