Ancient Hebrew A
Open your mind to the fundamental language building blocks of Ancient Hebrew. Scan symbols and scripts from centuries ago as you unlock foreign vocabulary and phonetic structures. Apply your learnings to the study of key biblical texts.
Enrolments for this year have closed. Keep exploring subjects.
This research-intensive university in north-western Sydney offers a range of undergraduate and postgraduate degrees. With over 30,000 current students, Macquarie has a strong reputation for welcoming international students and embracing flexible and convenient study options, including its partnership with Open Universities Australia.
QS RANKING 2021
Times Higher Education Ranking 2021
At the completion of this subject students will be able to:
- Identify and recall Ancient Hebrew grammatical structures at elementary level
- Recognise and memorise foundational Ancient Hebrew vocabulary
- Assess the grammar required for the translation of simple Ancient Hebrew texts
- Recognise and recall Ancient Hebrew script and phonetic structure
- Explore relevant grammatical and vocabulary reference tools.
- A week-by-week guide to the topics you will explore in this subject will be provided in your study materials.
No eligibility requirements
No special requirements
This subject is an introduction to classical Hebrew for students who have not previously studied Biblical Hebrew. This subject provides students with an introduction to the Hebrew alphabet, and to the grammar and vocabulary of Biblical Hebrew, in preparation for the study of a number of biblical texts.
- Assignment — short exercises (15%)
- Non-Invigilated Exam — translation & grammar analysis (50%)
- Participation — online grammar discussion (20%)
- Test — short answer questions (15%)