Nutrition Research Minor Project
Run your own research project investigating the field of nutrition. Oversee data collection, analysis and interpretation. Exercise an ethical research approach, building to an oral presentation and a final project analysis at the end of the process.
Your upfront cost: $0
- 02 Mar 2020
- 31 Aug 2020
The third university established in Victoria, La Trobe University has a diverse community of more than 33,000 students and staff. Its commitment to excellence in teaching and research prepares students to make a bold and positive impact in today's global community. La Trobe provides Open Universities Australia with its core tenets, entrepreneurship and sustainability.
QS RANKING 2020
Times Higher Education Ranking 2020
At the completion of this subject students will be able to:
- critically appraise the literature related to project area;
- design and implement a data collection tool, and gain practical skills in data collection;
- demonstrate understanding of and apply the principles of ethical conduct of research;
- analyse and interpret data using simple statistical techniques;
- develop practical experience in communicating research findings using a multimedia presentation at a level appropriate for peers and key stakeholders;
- demonstrate the ability to communicate research findings in a scientific manner in the format of an original paper or review.
- Project management skills development
- Conducting literature searches
- Reviewing research methodologies
- Understanding ethics
- Recruitment strategies
- Data collection tool development
- Data analysis and interpretation
- Importance of science communications
- Audio/Video conferencing
- Discussion forum/Discussion Board
- Embedded Multimedia
- Online assignment submission
- Podcasting/Lecture capture
- Web links
- Study guide
- Audio-Video streaming
- Online Assessment
- Resources and Links
You must either have successfully completed the following subject(s) before starting this subject, or currently be enrolled in the following subject(s) in a prior study period; or enrol in the following subject(s) to study prior to this subject:
Please note that your enrolment in this subject is conditional on successful completion of these prerequisite subject(s). If you study the prerequisite subject(s) in the study period immediately prior to studying this subject, your result for the prerequisite subject(s) will not be finalised prior to the close of enrolment. In this situation, should you not complete your prerequisite subject(s) successfully you should not continue with your enrolment in this subject. If you are currently enrolled in the prerequisite subject(s) and believe you may not complete these all successfully, it is your responsibility to reschedule your study of this subject to give you time to re-attempt the prerequisite subject(s)
- OtherDetails -
This subject is offered via Open Universities Australia. La Trobe University students can undertake this subject as part of a cross institutional enrolment under certain circumstances, and must seek approval from the Bachelor of Food and Nutrition course coordinator for eligibility. Due to the nature of the subject content and online delivery, enrolments are generally not permitted past the published OUA enrolment date for the study period.
Please note: this subject was previously known as Nutrition Project.
In this subject students will undertake a small research project in nutrition that can be undertaken individually or as part of a group project, where individual objectives for the student’s project are met. The project will provide students with experience and skills in project management, data collection, data analysis and interpretation, critical analysis, and preparation of a scientific report. Students are expected to complete on-line modules, work independently in self-directed learning, and meet regularly with their project supervisor.
- 5 min audiovisual presentation (15%)
- 3000 word project report (60%)
- Research Proposal – 1000 words (25%)
Textbook information is pending.