Nutrition For Sports Performance
Weigh up the nutritional demands of athletes. Isolate nutrition’s role in muscle gain or fat loss and optimising performance. Tackle subjects like sports supplements, fluid intake and the nutritional challenges that can affect older active individuals.
There are no available classes. Find another subject.
- 26 Aug 2019
The third university established in Victoria, La Trobe University has a diverse community of more than 33,000 students and staff. Its commitment to excellence in teaching and research prepares students to make a bold and positive impact in today's global community. La Trobe provides Open Universities Australia with its core tenets, entrepreneurship and sustainability.
Upon completion of this subject students will be able to:
- analyse and integrate evidence in providing appropriate nutritional advice to athletes and active individuals within their scope of practice
- evaluate and assess the nutritional demands of athletic performance in a variety of sports and life stages
- critically analyse a range of current issues in sports nutrition
- evaluate the role of nutritional factors and environmental factors affecting physical performance.
- Introduction to sports nutrition
- Exercise physiology and metabolism; energy systems
- Energy requirements and estimating energy expenditure
- Macronutrient requirements
- Training and competition demands in various sports
- Sports foods, supplements and ergogenic aids
- Discussion forum/Discussion Board
- Embedded Multimedia
- Online Quizzes/Tests
- Online assignment submission
- Podcasting/Lecture capture
- Web links
- Study guide
- Resources and Links
- Online Assessment
You must have successfully completed the following subject(s) before starting this subject:
- OtherDetails -
This subject is offered via Open Universities Australia. La Trobe University students can undertake this subject as part of a cross institutional enrolment under certain circumstances, and must seek approval from the Bachelor of Food and Nutrition Course Coordinator for eligibility. Due to the nature of the subject content and online delivery, enrolments are generally not permitted past the published OUA enrolment date for the study period.
Please note: this subject was previously known as Sports Nutrition.
In this subject students will learn the essentials of human nutrition that improve and sustain optimal performance for sport and exercise for both elite and recreational athletes. It will cover topics including pre-, during and post training/event nutrition and fluid intake. Nutrition for muscle gain and fat loss for optimising body composition and performance. Nutritional challenges seen in specific sports and age groups will also be discussed as well as sports supplements.
- 1500 word assignment (35%)
- 1500 word case study analysis (15%)
- 2 x 1 hour online quizzes (50%)
Click on the titles of the listed books below to find out more: