Nutrition For Sports Performance
Weigh up the nutritional demands of athletes. Isolate nutrition’s role in muscle gain or fat loss and optimising performance. Tackle subjects like sports supplements, fluid intake and the nutritional challenges that can affect older active individuals.
Your upfront cost: $0
- 25 Aug 2019
The third university established in Victoria, La Trobe University has a diverse community of more than 33,000 students and staff. Its commitment to excellence in teaching and research prepares students to make a bold and positive impact in today's global community. La Trobe provides Open Universities Australia with its core tenets, entrepreneurship and sustainability.
Upon completion of this subject students will be able to:
- analyse and integrate evidence in providing appropriate nutritional advice to athletes and active individuals within their scope of practice;
- evaluate and assess the nutritional demands of athletic performance in a variety of sports and life stages;
- analyse a range of current issues in sports nutrition.
- Introduction to sports nutrition
- Exercise physiology and metabolism; energy systems
- Energy requirements and estimating energy expenditure
- Macronutrient requirements
- Training and competition demands in various sports
- Sports foods, supplements and ergogenic aids
- Discussion forum/Discussion Board
- Embedded Multimedia
- Online Quizzes/Tests
- Online assignment submission
- Podcasting/Lecture capture
- Web links
- Study guide
- Resources and Links
- Online Assessment
You must have successfully completed the following subject(s) before starting this subject:
Bachelor of Food and Nutrition students can undertake this subject if they have been enrolled in the prerequisite subject/s HBS101, HBS102 and DTN201 or DTN101 in the previous study period. However, if the prerequisite subject/s is failed you will automatically be removed from this subject. Contact an Open Universities Australia student advisor for more information.
- OtherDetails -
This subject is offered via Open Universities Australia. La Trobe University students can undertake this subject as part of a cross institutional enrolment under certain circumstances, and must seek approval from the Bachelor of Food and Nutrition course coordinator for eligibility. Due to the nature of the subject content and online delivery, enrolments are generally not permitted past the published OUA enrolment date for the study period.
Please note: this subject was previously known as Sports Nutrition.
In this subject students will learn the essentials of human nutrition that improve and sustain optimal performance for sport and exercise for both elite and recreational athletes. It will cover topics including training and competition nutrition along with exploring the nutritional challenges seen across the lifespan and specific sports.
- 1500 word assignment (35%)
- 1500 word case study analysis (15%)
- 2 x 1 hour online quizzes (50%)
Textbook information is pending.