Nutrition For Sports Performance
Weigh up the nutritional demands of athletes. Isolate nutrition’s role in muscle gain or fat loss and optimising performance. Tackle subjects like sports supplements, fluid intake and the nutritional challenges that can affect older active individuals.
Your upfront cost: $0
- 31 Aug 2020
The third university established in Victoria, La Trobe University has a diverse community of more than 33,000 students and staff. Its commitment to excellence in teaching and research prepares students to make a bold and positive impact in today's global community. La Trobe provides Open Universities Australia with its core tenets, entrepreneurship and sustainability.
QS RANKING 2020
Times Higher Education Ranking 2020
Upon completion of this subject students will be able to:
- analyse and integrate evidence in providing appropriate nutritional advice to athletes and active individuals within their scope of practice;
- evaluate and assess the nutritional demands of athletic performance in a variety of sports and life stages;
- analyse a range of current issues in sports nutrition.
- Introduction to sports nutrition
- Exercise physiology and metabolism; energy systems
- Energy requirements and estimating energy expenditure
- Macronutrient requirements
- Training and competition demands in various sports
- Sports foods, supplements and ergogenic aids
You must either have successfully completed the following subject(s) before starting this subject, or currently be enrolled in the following subject(s) in a prior study period; or enrol in the following subject(s) to study prior to this subject:
Please note that your enrolment in this subject is conditional on successful completion of these prerequisite subject(s). If you study the prerequisite subject(s) in the study period immediately prior to studying this subject, your result for the prerequisite subject(s) will not be finalised prior to the close of enrolment. In this situation, should you not complete your prerequisite subject(s) successfully you should not continue with your enrolment in this subject. If you are currently enrolled in the prerequisite subject(s) and believe you may not complete these all successfully, it is your responsibility to reschedule your study of this subject to give you time to re-attempt the prerequisite subject(s)
- OtherDetails -
This subject is offered via Open Universities Australia. La Trobe University students can undertake this subject as part of a cross institutional enrolment under certain circumstances, and must seek approval from the Bachelor of Food and Nutrition course coordinator for eligibility. Due to the nature of the subject content and online delivery, enrolments are generally not permitted past the published OUA enrolment date for the study period.
Please note: this subject was previously known as Sports Nutrition.
In this subject students will learn the essentials of human nutrition that improve and sustain optimal performance for sport and exercise for both elite and recreational athletes. It will cover topics including training and competition nutrition along with exploring the nutritional challenges seen across the lifespan and specific sports.
- 1500 word assignment (35%)
- 1500 word case study analysis (15%)
- 2 x 1 hour online quizzes (50%)
Textbook information is pending.