Nutrition Education for Adults
Your upfront cost: $0
- 31 May 2021
- 29 Nov 2021
The third university established in Victoria, La Trobe University has a diverse community of more than 33,000 students and staff. Its commitment to excellence in teaching and research prepares students to make a bold and positive impact in today's global community. La Trobe provides Open Universities Australia with its core tenets, entrepreneurship and sustainability.
QS RANKING 2021
Times Higher Education Ranking 2021
At the completion of this subject students will be able to:
- apply learning and educational theories to design individual and group nutrition education sessions, including development of appropriate supporting materials;
- demonstrate effective individual and group multimodal communication skills for a range of audiences;
- review and analyse the food, health and nutritional status of groups across Australia and the world.
- Education and learning theory
- Lesson planning
- Community and public health nutrition
You cannot enrol in this subject if you have successfully completed any of the following subject(s) because they are considered academically equivalent:
You must either have successfully completed the following subject(s) before starting this subject, or currently be enrolled in the following subject(s) in a prior study period; or enrol in the following subject(s) to study prior to this subject:
Please note that your enrolment in this subject is conditional on successful completion of these prerequisite subject(s). If you study the prerequisite subject(s) in the study period immediately prior to studying this subject, your result for the prerequisite subject(s) will not be finalised prior to the close of enrolment. In this situation, should you not complete your prerequisite subject(s) successfully you should not continue with your enrolment in this subject. If you are currently enrolled in the prerequisite subject(s) and believe you may not complete these all successfully, it is your responsibility to reschedule your study of this subject to give you time to re-attempt the prerequisite subject(s)
- OtherDetails - This subject is offered via Open Universities Australia, late enrolments are generally not permitted past the published close of application date for the study period. For students not enrolled in the prerequisite courses, you may be able to undertake these subjects with approval of your home course coordinator, please contact ASK La Trobe for assistance.
Please note: this subject was previously known as DTN403 Nutrition Education for Adults.
In this subject students will begin to understand and be able to apply learning and educational theories within the context of food and nutrition education. Students will apply skills in interpreting population, demographic and other food and nutrition data to describe a community and their food, health and nutritional status and develop a range of high level communication skills through developing a health promotion program to meet the needs of a community. Finally, students will gain practical skills in planning food and nutrition education with particular emphasis on translating scientific literature into end-point user-friendly, culturally appropriate written information by demonstrating excellent communication skills across a variety of mediums.
- One individual written assessment task (1750-word equivalent) (70%)
- Oral presentation (500 words equivalent) (10%)
- One group written task (1500-word equivalent per student) (20%)
Textbook information is pending.
Textbook information is pending.