Warning! This subjects requires on campus attendance. Refer to Special Requirements for more information.
- Australia, migration and multiculturalism
- Acculturation, dietary acculturation and ethnic identity
- Food fads and trends
- Indigenous Australia to British
- Exploring cuisines and migration stores: Indian, African, Turkish Ottoman, Greek Mediterranean, Italian, Vietnamese, Chinese
- Disscusion forum/Discussion Board
- Embedded Multimedia
- Online Quizzes/Tests
- Online assignment submission
- Study guide
- Audio-Video streaming
- Resources and Links
- Printable format materials
- Online Assessment
You must have successfully completed the following subject(s) before starting this subject:
- AttendanceDetails - This subject includes an intensive face-to-face block of approximately 11 business days at a commercial kitchen in Melbourne including lectures/tutorials, demonstrations and practicals that you will be required to attend.
- OtherDetails -
This subject is offered via Open Universities Australia. La Trobe University students can undertake this subject as part of a cross institutional enrolment under certain circumstances, and must seek approval from the Bachelor of Food and Nutrition Course Coordinator for eligibility. Due to the nature of the subject content and online delivery, enrolments are generally not permitted past the published OUA enrolment date for the study period.
In this subject you will be exposed to a range of cultures and their cuisines, food preparation and cooking methods. You will attend a block of intensive demonstration and practical classes in a commercial kitchen in Melbourne and also participate in online learning. You will apply advanced food and nutrition skills to formulate solutions to a range of complex practical food and nutrition challenges.
Your learning in this subject will be assessed through the development of an ethnic food product suitable for an ethnic food event, along with the completion of a comprehensive applied food skills practical manual that demonstrates your ability to select and apply industry best practice methods and technologies in the field of food, nutrition and gastronomy
- Assignment 1 - Ethnic food product design (20%)
- Assignment 2 - Recipe Demonstration Video (40%)
- Assignment 3 - Develop food product concept (40%)