- Introduction to semiotics and discourse analysis
- Concepts of narrative and genre
- Television Genres
- Historical research and considerations of television
- Disscusion forum/Discussion Board
- Online assignment submission
- Standard Media
- Web links
- Printable format materials
- Resources and Links
No eligibility requirements
No special requirements
This subject presents you with methods for analysing and critically evaluating cultural texts. Block One provides an introduction to semiotics and discourse analysis with emphasis on advertising and visual texts. Block Two introduces you to the concepts of narrative and genre with examples drawn from television texts, while Block Three focuses on television genres. Block 4 explores research methods for the historical research of television texts. This subject will enhance your understanding of how texts and textual systems work while also introducing you to concepts and theories used in the analysis of the media texts and discourse.
This subject is part of the Humanities Pathway.
OUA Pathways recommends the best subjects to start your studies, even if you're not sure which degree you want to do. Each pathway includes four subjects based on your area of interest. Once you complete your recommended path you'll be able to choose from a range of degrees in your area of interest. Plus, each of the subjects you complete through OUA Pathways can also be credited towards your chosen degree.
Learn more about OUA Pathways.
- Assignment 1 - Analysis Task (40%)
- Assignment 2 - Research Essay (50%)
- Assignment 3 - Quiz (10%)