Hotel Service Operations Management
Check into the role of a hotel manager. Divide your focus between hotel marketing, operations, servicing and strategy. Assess the place of benchmarking and performance reports. Put your skills to the test with business management simulation software.
There are no available classes. Find another subject.
Subjects may require attendance
With a network of campuses across Brisbane and the Gold Coast, Griffith University is committed to progressive multidisciplinary teaching and research and a valuable online provider with Open Universities Australia. Already attracting students from more than 122 countries, Griffith's dedication to academic excellence is available across Australia through OUA.
At the completion of this subject students will be able to: Learning Outcomes After successfully completing this subject, you should be able to:
- Critically evaluate and analyse the impact of decisions within business strategy, marketing and sales, finance, operations and human resource management on the financial operations of a hotel.
- Demonstrate an understanding of and an ability to apply theories or tools to the hospitality sector through problem solving.
- Develop group communication skills together with verbal and written communication skills, through the group decision making processes.
- Strategic role and nature of service operations
- HOTS overview and introduction
- Marketing strategy (advertising decisions, distribution and rate strategy)
- HR Management (Staffing, compensation and training)
- Operations management ( refurbishment and EMS)
- Financial management
- Revenue management and revenue management strategies
- Hotel industry analytical foundations, bench-marking and performance reports
- Audio/Video conferencing
- Chat Rooms
- Embedded Multimedia
- Online Quizzes/Tests
- Online assignment submission
- Podcasting/Lecture capture
- Standard Media
- Web links
Note: Level 3 subjects normally assume a moderate level of prior knowledge in this area, e.g. from studying related Level 1 and 2 subjects or other relevant experience.
- EquipmentDetails - Audio/Visual equipment
Please note: This subject was previously known as HSL315.
The hotel industry is a growing industry within Australia and internationally. As a result, Hotel Service Operations Management is vital in ensuring the long-term sustainability of hotels. This is achieved through maximising revenue, achieving high quality products and services, and integrating technology. This degree uses a learning application "HOTS", which is a business management simulation based on the redevelopment and management of a large hotel. The service-specific management concepts in the HOTS simulation draws on students' prior knowledge attained through marketing, management concepts, accounting for decision making, rooms divisions, food and beverage, and strategy and change degrees. This integration and application of knowledge offers students a distinctive learning experience.
- Assessment — HOTS Balanced Scorecard (30%)
- Invigilated Exam (50%)
- Quiz — Online Quiz (20%)
Bachelor of Business
- Business Introductory Core Subjects
- Major in Human Resource Management
- Major in Management
- Major in Contemporary Marketing
- Major in International Hotel Management (Last year of offer 2018)