Conference and Convention Management
Delve into one of the hospitality and tourism industry’s fastest growing sectors. You’ll focus on planning and controlling large scale events. You’ll also cover business aspects including sales, marketing and financial and legal considerations.
Enrolments for this year have closed. Keep exploring subjects.
Subjects may require attendance
With a network of campuses across Brisbane and the Gold Coast, Griffith University is committed to progressive multidisciplinary teaching and research and a valuable online provider with Open Universities Australia. Already attracting students from more than 122 countries, Griffith's dedication to academic excellence is available across Australia through OUA.
QS RANKING 2020
Times Higher Education Ranking 2020
At the completion of this subject students will be able to:
- Utilise effective communication skills to discuss the role, impact and significance of the MICE industry.
- Exhibit proficiency with respect to information literacy to be able identify the key stakeholders in the industry and explain their role in successful conference and convention management
- Understand the key areas for decision making with respect to conference and convention management and be able to demonstrate satisfactory levels of problem solving and critical evaluation skills relevant to such decision making.
- Comprehensively synthesise a range of interrelated issues to enable appropriate management action, through employment of effective problem solving and critical evaluation skills.
- Introduction to the Business : Conferences and Conventions
- Planning, Organising, Directing & Control
- Key Industry Stakeholders A
- Key Industry Stakeholders B
- Linking Meeting Needs with Venues
- Program Planning and Management
- Budget, Financial & Legal Considerations
- Special Events & F&B Applications
- Conference and Convention Operations
- Marketing Promotion and Sponsorship
- Future Trends and Issues
- Audio/Video conferencing
- Chat Rooms
- Embedded Multimedia
- Online Quizzes/Tests
- Online assignment submission
- Podcasting/Lecture capture
- Standard Media
- Web links
Note: Level 3 subjects normally assume a moderate level of prior knowledge in this area, e.g. from studying related Level 1 and 2 subjects or other relevant experience.
- EquipmentDetails - Audio/Visual equipment
Please note: This subject was previously known as HSL313.
The meetings industry has long been recognised as a major market sector in the tourism and hospitality industry, and the meetings or business event tourism sector industry is the fastest growing sector in the tourism industry. Its complex and diverse nature is represented in the diversity of operational aspects it covers: accommodation management; food and beverage management; tourism destination marketing; engineering and technical services; front office; facility marketing and sales; risk management and project management.
This subject contains group work. Students will be required to work in small groups to complete one of the written assessment tasks.
- Assignment 1 — Written Assignment (30%)
- Assignment 2 — Written Assignment (20%)
- Invigilated Exam (30%)
- Quiz — Online Quiz (20%)
Bachelor of Business
- Business Introductory Core Subjects
- Major in Human Resource Management
- Major in Management
- Major in Contemporary Marketing
- Major in International Hotel Management (Last year of offer 2018)