Teaching Number, Algebra and Probability in the Primary Years
Explore the main ideas and pedagogical approaches to the number and algebra strand of the curriculum. Investigate the ‘big ideas’ approach combined with constructivist teaching through inquiry, problem solving and reasoning
Your upfront cost: $0
- 25 Nov 2019
- 30 Nov 2020
Start your career with Curtin’s globally recognised courses and extensive industry connections. Through OUA, our online courses offer an interactive and collaborative learning experience that gets you the same degree as if you studied on campus. Curtin is a global university with a vibrant culture of innovation and collaboration and is ranked in the top one per cent of universities worldwide.
Times Higher Education Ranking
At the completion of this subject students will be able to:
- apply a deep understanding of the Number and Algebra strand of the Australian Curriculum: Mathematics and how to teach it to children of varying learning abilities
- interpret and validate children’s demonstration of their knowledge of number and algebra
- appraise social constructivist approaches to planning for mathematical learning and the development of numeracy
- develop a teaching plan based on the ‘big ideas’ of number and containing links with key concepts for teaching probability
- investigate and critique best practice for teaching and assessing Probability through the proficiencies of problem solving and reasoning.
- 'Big ideas' of number. Early number experiences
- Place value and Base Ten number system
- Multiplicative Thinking
- Fractions > Decimals
- Fractions > Decimals > Percentage > Proportional reasoning - Linking `big ideas' of number
- Mental computation, understanding operations, and written computation
- Mental computation, understanding operations, and written computation. Making computational choices
- Algebraic thinking - pre-algebra and patterns. The 'big ideas' of algebra - Part A
- Algebraic thinking - pre-algebra and patterns. The 'big ideas' of algebra - Part B
- Experiential, experimental, and theoretical probability
- Experiential, experimental, and theoretical probability - teaching through an inquiry approach
- Reflection and review
- Audio/Video conferencing
- Discussion forum/Discussion Board
- Embedded Multimedia
- Online Quizzes/Tests
- Online assignment submission
- Podcasting/Lecture capture
- Standard Media
- Streaming Multimedia
- Web links
- Resources and Links
- Online Assessment
- Audio-Video streaming
In order to enrol in this subject, you must be accepted into one of the following degrees:
- OtherDetails -
Access to Microsoft Office or a unit approved alternative, Access to video creation and editing software.
This subject has a required ebook. - Helping Children Learn Mathematics 2nd Edition by Reys, R.E., Lindquist, M.M., Lambdin, D.V., Smith, M.L., Rogers, A., Cooke, A., Ewing, B., Robson, K., & Bennett, S. (2016). The ebook is readily available through the suppliers webpage - http://www.wileydirect.com.au/buy/helping-children-learn-mathematics-2nd-edition/
This subject considers the main content ideas and pedagogical approaches for effective teaching of number, algebra and probability to primary children. It uses a ‘big ideas’ approach combined with constructivist teaching through inquiry and problem solving.
*** This subject has a required ebook. - Helping Children Learn Mathematics 2nd Edition by Reys, R.E., Lindquist, M.M., Lambdin, D.V., Smith, M.L., Rogers, A., Cooke, A., Ewing, B., Robson, K., & Bennett, S. (2016). The ebook is readily available through the suppliers webpage - http://www.wileydirect.com.au/buy/helping-children-learn-mathematics-2nd-edition/
Please Note: If it’s your first time studying a Curtin University subject you’ll need to complete their compulsory ‘Academic Integrity Program’. It only takes two hours to complete online, and provides you with vital information about studying with Curtin University. The Academic Integrity Program is compulsory, so if it’s not completed your subject grades will be withheld.
Find out more about the Academic Integrity module.
- Report (50%)
- Exercises (50%)
Click on the titles of the listed books below to find out more:
Textbook information is pending.