Teaching Language and Literacy in the Primary Years
Research and analyse current language and literacy theory and practices. Apply these to the primary context by developing varied teaching and learning experiences that support and challenge students with diverse abilities and backgrounds.
Your upfront cost: $0
- 25 Nov 2019
- 30 Nov 2020
Start your career with Curtin’s globally recognised courses and extensive industry connections. Through OUA, our online courses offer an interactive and collaborative learning experience that gets you the same degree as if you studied on campus. Curtin is a global university with a vibrant culture of innovation and collaboration and is ranked in the top one per cent of universities worldwide.
QS RANKING 2020
Times Higher Education Ranking 2020
At the completion of this subject students will be able to:
- research and analyse current language and literacy theories and practices
- explain how current language and literacy theories and practices have been applied to primary classroom contexts
- integrate knowledge of the needs of students from diverse backgrounds and across the full range of abilities to develop differentiated teaching and learning experiences that support and challenge all students in language and literacy
- apply discipline knowledge, principles and concepts to plan for the delivery and evaluation of teaching and learning experiences that will impact on student learning in the primary English curriculum
- appraise a range of resources, including technologies, and make appropriate selections to inform language and literacy programs.
- Introduction and overview to literacy for the 21st century and assessing own literacy development
- Becoming an effective teacher of language literature and literacy, the necessary background knowledge and skills of the pre-service teacher?
- Assessment of literacy - looking at data from children and relating it to develop children's learning
- Pedagogies for teaching
- Resources for learning
- Working with today's learners - what do they have to build understanding around?
- Making meaning across multimodal texts
- Developing fluent readers and writers
- Instructional design including comprehension strategies for multimodal learning
- Organising for literacy instruction and planning for learning using the Australian Curriculum- Part A
- Organising for literacy instruction and planning for learning using the Australian Curriculum - Part B
- Catering for diverse learners and learners of English as an additional language
- Reflection and review
- Audio/Video conferencing
- Discussion forum/Discussion Board
- Embedded Multimedia
- Online assignment submission
- Podcasting/Lecture capture
- Standard Media
- Streaming Multimedia
- Web links
- Resources and Links
- Online Assessment
- Audio-Video streaming
In order to enrol in this subject, you must be accepted into one of the following degrees:
- OtherDetails -
Access to Microsoft Office or a unit approved alternative, access to video creation and editing software.
This subject encompasses contemporary language and literacy theories and broad content for the language and literacy areas of the English curriculum. It will focus on applying what is learnt about teaching, children’s development, learning and assessment to the context of language and literacy teaching in primary classrooms. The subject explores processes for the design and organisation of appropriate learning opportunities for effective language and literacy instruction using a range of instructional procedures.
Please Note: If it’s your first time studying a Curtin University subject you’ll need to complete their compulsory ‘Academic Integrity Program’. It only takes two hours to complete online, and provides you with vital information about studying with Curtin University. The Academic Integrity Program is compulsory, so if it’s not completed your subject grades will be withheld.
Find out more about the Academic Integrity module.
- Exercises (60%)
- Case Study (40%)
Click on the titles of the listed books below to find out more:
Textbook information is pending.