Study how a solid structure secures the function and integrity of buildings. Learn the structural principles of construction and identify best practice. Recognise the relationship between structure and force. Design a structure and assess stability.
Enrolments for this year have closed. Keep exploring subjects.
- 01 Jun 2020
Start your career with Curtin’s globally recognised courses and extensive industry connections. Through OUA, our online courses offer an interactive and collaborative learning experience that gets you the same degree as if you studied on campus. Curtin is a global university with a vibrant culture of innovation and collaboration and is ranked in the top one per cent of universities worldwide.
QS RANKING 2020
Times Higher Education Ranking 2020
At the completion of this subject students will be able to:
- identify the principles of basic structural mechanics
- apply core principles of basic structural mechanics to prepare a simple structural design
- analyse the stability of a simple structural design
- select appropriate forms of structural design that meet the best practice requirements.
- Introduction to Basic Structural Principles
- Shape of Structural Components
- Behaviour and Properties of Materials
- Equations of Statistics, Movements and Basic Trigonometry
- Force Systems
- Pin Jointed Structures
You cannot enrol in this subject if you have successfully completed any of the following subject(s) because they are considered academically equivalent:
No special requirements
In this subject, students will be introduced to basic structural mechanics, geo-mechanics, and loadings on buildings. Students will develop an understanding of the design of foundations and basic structural elements.
Please Note: If it’s your first time studying a Curtin University subject you’ll need to complete their compulsory ‘Academic Integrity Program’. It only takes two hours to complete online, and provides you with vital information about studying with Curtin University. The Academic Integrity Program is compulsory, so if it’s not completed your subject grades will be withheld.
Find out more about the Academic Integrity module.
- Test (20%)
- Case Study (30%)
- Online Test (Non-Invigilated) (50%)
Textbooks are not required.