Science and Professional Practice in Psychology
Enrolments for this year have closed. Keep exploring subjects.
Subjects may require attendance
- 31 Aug 2020
Start your career with Curtin’s globally recognised courses and extensive industry connections. Through OUA, our online courses offer an interactive and collaborative learning experience that gets you the same degree as if you studied on campus. Curtin is a global university with a vibrant culture of innovation and collaboration and is ranked in the top one per cent of universities worldwide.
QS RANKING 2020
Times Higher Education Ranking 2020
At the completion of this subject students will be able to:
- describe the historical development of psychological science and practice from an international perspective
- demonstrate the ways that theory, research and practice in psychology are mutually informed
- distinguish between scientific and non-scientific ways of thinking about and researching human behaviour
- collect, analyse and report on original data relevant to psychological science and practice
- define and apply key ethical principles in psychological practice and research.
- To be advised in the subject outline
You cannot enrol in this subject if you have successfully completed any of the following subject(s) because they are considered academically equivalent:
No special requirements
Introduces the scientist-practitioner model for psychology. Explores the historical origins of psychology, the scientific mindset and logic of its core research methods, and the role of ethics in psychological research and practice. Examines the manner in which theory, research and practice are mutually informed.
Please Note: If it’s your first time studying a Curtin University subject you’ll need to complete their compulsory ‘Academic Integrity Program’. It only takes two hours to complete online, and provides you with vital information about studying with Curtin University. The Academic Integrity Program is compulsory, so if it’s not completed your subject grades will be withheld.
Find out more about the Academic Integrity module.
- Research report (Part A) (15%)
- Research report (Part B) (45%)
- Invigilated Examination (40%)
A Practical Guide to Writing: Psychology, 4th ed. Also available as ebook ISBN: 9781760423155.