Introductory Business Financial Modelling
Run the numbers on spreadsheets, financial statements and capital budgeting. Get the lowdown on key economic concepts. Become a financial problem solver, drawing on trusted modelling techniques. Learn about business portfolios and bond valuations.
Your upfront cost: $0
Subjects may require attendance
- 30 Aug 2021
Start your career with Curtin’s globally recognised courses and extensive industry connections. Through OUA, our online courses offer an interactive and collaborative learning experience that gets you the same degree as if you studied on campus. Curtin is a global university with a vibrant culture of innovation and collaboration and is ranked in the top one per cent of universities worldwide.
QS RANKING 2021
Times Higher Education Ranking 2021
At the completion of this subject students will be able to:
- investigative and analytical skills in financial problem solving
- implement and demonstrate financial programming techniques in problem solving
- design financial models for forecasting, valuation and what-if analysis
- a range of financial for strategic and managerial decision making
- strategic and managerial decision-making using quantitative modelling techniques.
- Helpful Tools for Modelling in Microsoft Excel
- Time Value of Money I
- Time Value of Money II
- Capital Budgeting
- Choosing a Discount Rate
- Statistics for Portfolios
- CAPM and SML
- SML and Investment Performance
- Bond Valuation
- Valuing Stocks
You must have successfully completed the following subject(s) before starting this subject:
No special requirements
This subject develops the rationale and spreadsheet techniques in using the Microsoft Excel. Topics covered include: time value of money, capital budgeting, weighted average cost of capital, statistical analysis and portfolio theory.
Please Note: If it’s your first time studying a Curtin University subject you’ll need to complete their compulsory ‘Academic Integrity Program’. It only takes two hours to complete online, and provides you with vital information about studying with Curtin University. The Academic Integrity Program is compulsory, so if it’s not completed your subject grades will be withheld.
Find out more about the Academic Integrity module.
The new CRIS (Curtin Remote Invigilation System) will be used for this unit’s test and exam. Student will need to use the system which monitors their camera/microphone as well as monitors their desktop activity during the duration of the exam.
- Financial Analysis Project (25%)
- Online Test (25%)
- Online Examination (School Invigilated) (50%)
Check the learning management system (LMS) of your university for textbook details.