- The role of the writer
- Self and other
- The ethics of representation
- Research methods 1 - the interview
- Research methods 2 - observation
- Research methods 3 - library and internet research
- Genre 1 - the personal essay
- Genre 2 - the short story
- Genre 3 - the feature article
- Bringing it all together to create your own work
- Audio/Video conferencing
- Chat Rooms
- Discussion forum/Discussion Board
- Online assignment submission
- Podcasting/Lecture capture
- Standard Media
- Streaming Multimedia
- Web links
No eligibility requirements
No special requirements
This subject explores representation in writing and how the dynamic relationship between Self and Other plays a central role in the writing process. The representation of the self and of others is central to a broad range of written genres and forms. Students of professional writing will find that the subject introduces them to a variety of genres and forms essential to the portfolio of a professional writer, and will discover how creative writing techniques can enrich their professional work.
This subject is NOT an introduction to the mechanics of writing (grammar, punctuation, expression, etc.), but an introduction to the writing profession, publishing and the genres and forms of creative and professional writing.
Please Note: If it’s your first time studying a Curtin University subject you’ll need to complete their compulsory ‘Academic Integrity Program’. It only takes two hours to complete online, and provides you with vital information about studying with Curtin University. The Academic Integrity Program is compulsory, so if it’s not completed your subject grades will be withheld.
Find out more about the Academic Integrity module.
- Essay (30%)
- Folio (30%)
- Major Project (40%)
Textbooks are not required.
Textbook information is pending.
Bachelor of Arts Fine Art and Professional Writing and Publishing
- Level 2 Major - Fine Art - Painting
- Level 2 Major - Fine Art - Sculpture
Bachelor of Education Secondary Education
- Core Education Subjects - Unrestricted
- Major in The Arts (Visual Arts) Education
- Major in English Education
- Major in Humanities and Social Sciences Education