Construction Estimating and Risk Management
Unearth past and current estimation methods and standards in the construction industry. Interpret contracts to develop basic unit rates. Calculate project estimates, review quotations and prepare tenders. Control profit margins and manage overheads.
Your upfront cost: $0
Subjects may require attendance
- 24 Feb 2019
- 25 Aug 2019
Start your career with Curtin’s globally recognised courses and extensive industry connections. Through OUA, our online courses offer an interactive and collaborative learning experience that gets you the same degree as if you studied on campus. Curtin is a global university with a vibrant culture of innovation and collaboration and is ranked in the top one per cent of universities worldwide.
At the completion of this subject students will be able to:
- apply the process of estimating and the techniques used by construction contractors in preparing a tender
- interpret contract documents in order to develop basic subject rates and apply basic rates to calculate project estimates
- evaluate the identification and application of risk management concepts to create authentic project estimates
- reflect upon the relationship between risk considerations while preparing a pre-contract estimate and actual cost performance during the cycle-time of a project contract.
- Introduction to Construction Estimating
- Roles and types of construction estimates
- Sources of data for construction estimating
- Building-up rates: earthwork
- Building-up rates: concrete work
- Building-up rates: masonry
- Building-up rates: painting and finishing
- Estimates, tender and schedules
- Estimating for risks and uncertainties
- Estimates, tender analysis, payment mechanisms and cashflow forecasts
- Computer applications for estimating
- Discussion forum/Discussion Board
- Online assignment submission
- Standard Media
- Web links
- Printable format materials
- Online Assessment
- Resources and Links
You must have successfully completed the following subject(s) before starting this subject:
Note: Level 3 subjects normally assume a moderate level of prior knowledge in the area, eg from completing all Level 2 subjects or relevant experience.
No special requirements
This subject was previously known as Construction Estimating.
In this subject students will develop estimating skills used in construction projects. Students will examine strategic estimating methods to develop documents such as tender action, builder's bills of quantities, sub-contractors’ quotations, preliminaries. Students will also explore methods for determining margins for profit and overheads.
Please Note: If it’s your first time studying a Curtin University subject you’ll need to complete their compulsory ‘Academic Integrity Program’. It only takes two hours to complete online, and provides you with vital information about studying with Curtin University. The Academic Integrity Program is compulsory, so if it’s not completed your subject grades will be withheld.
Find out more about the Academic Integrity module.
- Estimating Exercise (15%)
- Report and Presentation (35%)
- Invigilated Exam (50%)
Click on the titles of the listed books below to find out more:
Textbook information is pending.