Construction Contracts and Law
Build a solid understanding of the legal landscape and laws affecting construction projects in Australia. Study ways to negotiate and manage contracts and get tips from industry case studies. Learn techniques to identify risks and resolve disputes.
Your upfront cost: $0
- 30 May 2022
- 28 Nov 2022
QS RANKING 2022
Times Higher Education Ranking 2022
At the completion of this subject students will be able to:
- demonstrate how the critical elements of the Australian legal system are applied with particular reference to the construction industry
examine and explain concepts of the law of contract and tort to construction industry case studies
- evaluate alternative legal dispute resolution options on construction projects.
- Introduction, Terminology and Legal Searches
- Australian Law
- Acts Relating to Construction
- Introduction to Contracts
- The Essential Elements of a Contract
- Terms of a Contract
- Misrepresentation, Mistake, Undue Influence and Duress
- Termination of Remedies of Contract
- Negligence and Nuisance
- Property Law
- Tenders and Dispute Resolution
You should not enrol in this subject if you have successfully completed any of the following subject(s) because they are considered academically equivalent:
- CUR-CME108-Construction Law (No longer available)
No additional requirements
This subject was previously known as CME108 Construction Law.
This subject introduces students to sources of law affecting building projects including the judicial system, common law and statute law, contract law and torts and dispute resolution.
Please Note: If it’s your first time studying a Curtin University subject you’ll need to complete their compulsory ‘Academic Integrity Program’. It only takes two hours to complete online, and provides you with vital information about studying with Curtin University. The Academic Integrity Program is compulsory, so if it’s not completed your subject grades will be withheld.
Find out more about the Academic Integrity module.
- Report (20%)
- Case Study (35%)
- eTest (45%)
Current study term: 29 May 22 to 28 Aug 22
An Introduction to the Law of Contract, 9th ed.
Next study term: 27 Nov 22 to 26 Feb 23
Check the learning management system (LMS) of your university for textbook details.
Bachelor of Applied Science Construction Management
- Level 4 Subjects - Professional
- Level 4 Subjects - Honours