Enrolments for this year have closed. Keep exploring subjects.
QS RANKING 2021
Times Higher Education Ranking 2021
At the completion of this subject students will be able to:
- demonstrate basic elementary Japanese language skills in the context of Japanese culture and society
- read and write all Hiragana and Katakana characters, and some Kanji characters
- communicate in a manner appropriate to different social and cultural systems in Japan
- Japanese sound and writing system
- Greetings and introductions
- Daily routines
- Japanese cities
- Japanese homes
- Leisure time
No eligibility requirements
No additional requirements
This subject introduces basic communicative skills in Japanese at an elementary level. Students acquire the four essential language skills of speaking, listening, reading and writing characters (Hiragana, Katakana, and Kanji) through ample practice in communicative activities supported by digital technology. Students will also be introduced to Japanese society and culture through mini-lectures, audio-visual presentations and virtual real-time classroom-based or online tutorials.
Please Note: If it’s your first time studying a Curtin University subject you’ll need to complete their compulsory ‘Academic Integrity Program’. It only takes two hours to complete online, and provides you with vital information about studying with Curtin University. The Academic Integrity Program is compulsory, so if it’s not completed your subject grades will be withheld.
Find out more about the Academic Integrity module.
- Recorded presentation (35%)
- eTest (25%)
- Language practice and reflection (40%)
Current study term: 29 Aug 21 to 28 Nov 21
Check the learning management system (LMS) of your university for textbook details.