Architectural Thesis Preparation
Scaffold your learning experience by developing architectural research skills. Look at the literature review process from multiple angles. Formulate a research focus.Put your new knowledge towards preparing an architectural dissertation proposal.
Your upfront cost: $0
- 25 Nov 2019
- 31 Aug 2020
- 30 Nov 2020
Start your career with Curtin’s globally recognised courses and extensive industry connections. Through OUA, our online courses offer an interactive and collaborative learning experience that gets you the same degree as if you studied on campus. Curtin is a global university with a vibrant culture of innovation and collaboration and is ranked in the top one per cent of universities worldwide.
QS RANKING 2020
Times Higher Education Ranking 2020
At the completion of this subject students will be able to:
- prioritise concepts theories and approaches to determine and formulate a research focus within a broad cultural and environmental and technological context for further development
- assess the value of research theories and methods, and prioritise a set of design criteria as appropriate to the architectural discipline in order to make judgements and discriminate between ideas
- develop a research proposal using critical thinking, analytical writing, self-reflection and theoretical discourse skills relevant to the focus of the study within the discipline of architecture.
- What is Research
- Starting the Research
- Reviewing Literature for Research
- Research Methods in Architecture
- Writing a Research Proposal
- Audio/Video conferencing
- Discussion forum/Discussion Board
- Online assignment submission
- Standard Media
- Streaming Multimedia
- Audio-Video streaming
- Printable format materials
- Resources and Links
- Online Assessment
You must have successfully completed the following subject(s) before starting this subject:
CUR-MAA402-Architectural Systems and Research Methods
CUR-MAA401-Architecture and Culture Research Topics and Methods
CUR-MAA408-Urban Design Research Methods
CUR-MAA407-Urban Design Research Studio
CUR-MAA409-Complex Buildings Research Studio
CUR-MAA411-Complex Buildings Research Methods
CUR-MAA507-Integrated Buildings Research Methods
CUR-MAA506-Integrated Buildings Research Studio
- OtherDetails -
Access to hardware: webcam, speakers and microphone
This subject was previously known as Architectural Thesis Methods and Preparation.
Application of skills and knowledge obtained in architectural research in theory and methods, leading to the development of an architectural dissertation proposal. The Proposal includes an extensive study of relevant literature, exemplars and precedents in the selected field of study as it relates to the discipline of architecture.
Please Note: If it’s your first time studying a Curtin University subject you’ll need to complete their compulsory ‘Academic Integrity Program’. It only takes two hours to complete online, and provides you with vital information about studying with Curtin University. The Academic Integrity Program is compulsory, so if it’s not completed your subject grades will be withheld.
Find out more about the Academic Integrity module.
- Preliminary Dissertation Proposal (20%)
- Interim Dissertation Proposal (30%)
- Final Dissertation Proposal (50%)
Textbooks are not required.
Check the learning management system (LMS) of your university for textbook details.