Architectural Technology and Making
Absorb the ideas that dictate the design, build and life cycle of small scale architecture projects. Cement the bond between design and structure. Survey construction methods, structural principles and the materials supporting small builds.
Enrolments for this year have closed. Keep exploring subjects.
Subjects may require attendance
- 31 Aug 2020
Start your career with Curtin’s globally recognised courses and extensive industry connections. Through OUA, our online courses offer an interactive and collaborative learning experience that gets you the same degree as if you studied on campus. Curtin is a global university with a vibrant culture of innovation and collaboration and is ranked in the top one per cent of universities worldwide.
QS RANKING 2020
Times Higher Education Ranking 2020
At the completion of this subject students will be able to:
- collect and analyse information relevant to structure and tectonics of an small scale architecture building
- integrate knowledge of construction, materials and structure into the design of an architectural project
- use appropriate methods to communicate knowledge of construction, materials and structure in the design of an architectural project.
- A Brief History of Making
- Structural Engineering
- Making Beautiful Buildings
- Making Buildings Beautiful
- Making Buildings Safe
- Making Buildings Healthy
- Life Cycle Design
- Mechanical and Hydraulic Services
- Systems for Suitability
You must have successfully completed the following subject(s) before starting this subject:
- EquipmentDetails - Access to hardware: webcam, speakers and microphone.
This subject explores the notion of architecture and making by focusing on the relationship of methods of construction, integration of structural principles and selection of materials in the design process of small scale architecture. Work integrated learning is incorporated through integration and application of construction knowledge and design documentation.
Please Note: If it’s your first time studying a Curtin University subject you’ll need to complete their compulsory ‘Academic Integrity Program’. It only takes two hours to complete online, and provides you with vital information about studying with Curtin University. The Academic Integrity Program is compulsory, so if it’s not completed your subject grades will be withheld.
Find out more about the Academic Integrity module.
- Exercise 1 (20%)
- Exercise 2 (30%)
- Report (20%)
- Invigilated Exam (30%)
Textbooks are not required.