Principles of Occupational Health and Safety
Get the fundamentals of OHS professional practice under your belt. Learn the concepts around hazard and risk, how to put these into action and how to communicate these effectively to your stakeholders.
Your upfront cost: $0
- 24 Feb 2019
- 25 Aug 2019
Established in 1991 after amalgamating four eastern Australian Catholic tertiary institutes, Australian Catholic University now has seven campuses, from Brisbane to Melbourne and welcomes students of all beliefs. Specialising in arts, business, education, health sciences, law, theology and philosophy, ACU encourages its students to think critically and ethically and bring change to their communities and offer this online through Open Universities Australia.
On successful completion of this subject, students should be able to:
- Explain occupational health and safety concepts including risk management and the conceptual structure underpinning OHSE professional practice
- Compare and contrast basic concepts of hazard and risk
- Communicate OHS information and data effectively to explain occupational heath concepts to workplace stakeholders
- Apply basic management processes in a legislative and organisational context.
- Introduction to OHSE
- OHSE Management Concepts and Systems
- Conceptual Structure for OHS Professional Practice
- Legislative and Organisational Context for Practice
- Hazards, Risks and Risk Management
- Risk Assessment and Control
- Safe Design
- Environmental Impact (Risk) Assessment
- Emergency Planning and Security Risk Management
- Evaluation of OHSE Performance
- Rethinking OHSE
- Discussion forum/Discussion Board
- Embedded Multimedia
- Online Quizzes/Tests
- Online assignment submission
- Streaming Multimedia
- Virtual Classroom
- Online Assessment
- Printable format materials
- Audio-Video streaming
- Resources and Links
You cannot enrol in this subject if you have successfully completed any of the following subject(s) because they are considered academically equivalent:
No special requirements
This is a fundamental subject in the OHSE Management minor that introduces the principles of Occupational Health and Safety (OHS) management, including basic concepts and current thinking related to hazard and risk, work design, the conceptual structure underpinning OHS professional practice, and the legislative and organisational context for practice. Many of these topics are also addressed in greater detail in subsequent OHSE Subjects.
- Academic Paper A (40%)
- Online Discussion Activities (25%)
- Academic Paper B (35%)
Textbook information is pending.