Student support services

How to change your personal details

You can change most of your personal details (such as your address or phone number) by signing into My Study Centre, going to your Profile and following the link to Update your profile.

Some personal details cannot be changed without documents that support your request. For example: if you're an enrolled student, we cannot change your name, citizenship or date of birth without supporting documents. To change these details you need to scan and email a copy of your supporting documents to the OUA support team, and we will make the changes for you.

Supporting document requirements

The following legal documents can be used to change your personal details:

Unfortunately a driver's license or Medicare card cannot be used as supporting documentation for a change of personal details request.

Please note:

  1. You must scan a copy of your supporting documents in full colour.
  2. The scanned copy of your supporting document must come from the original, not a photocopy, photograph or a faxed copy.
  3. Make sure your scanned copy hasn't missed a portion of the document (look out for page numbers).
  4. Documents must be scanned at their original size. If the supporting document is larger than A4 size, then the document should be scanned in A4 sized portions without size reduction.
  5. If your supporting document has markings or text on both sides, then both sides must be scanned (look out for registration numbers).
  6. Your scanned documents must be clear and legible.
  7. The file size of any single document should not exceed 3MB.
  8. Your documents must be scanned in one of the following formats: DOC/DOCX, PDF, TIF/TIFF, JPG/JPEG, PNG, GIF, BMP.

How to send us your supporting documents

Once you have a scanned copy of your supporting documents ready, please email them to the OUA Student Support team at Please do not send us your original documents in the mail, as we may not be able to send them back to you.

In your email, please include your full name and OUA ID number, and a description of what you would like us to change for you.


In accordance with the Australian Government Guidelines on the Recognition of Sex and Gender (PDF, 1.6MB), our systems will soon be updated to give you the option to identify as M (male), F (female) or X (indeterminate/intersex/unspecified). These updates are scheduled to be completed in 2017.

If you would like to amend your gender information, simply let us know via email to

We're here to help

If you have any issues or questions, get in touch with a Student Advisor by phone on 1300 36 36 52, through our Live Chat service on our website, or by submitting an enquiry through our online form.