Human Resource Strategies
Dive into Strategic Human Resource Management. You’ll cover the theory and practice of managing people – giving you the skills to develop policies and practices that consider law, ethics and social responsibilities.
Your upfront cost: $0
- 25 Aug 2019
Start your career with Curtin’s globally recognised courses and extensive industry connections. Through OUA, our online courses offer an interactive and collaborative learning experience that gets you the same degree as if you studied on campus. Curtin is a global university with a vibrant culture of innovation and collaboration and is ranked in the top one per cent of universities worldwide.
At the completion of this subject students will be able to:
- critique, develop and communicate strategies for effective policies and practices relating to the legal, ethical and socially responsible management of people at work
- appraise the political, social and economic contexts that impact on individuals and stakeholder groups, both within and external to the organisation, and subsequent development of HR strategies
- critically evaluate human resource policies and strategies to ensure their continual link with, and support of, the organisation’s strategic planning and operational practice
- explore international HR management.
- Evolution of human resource management
- The context of human resource management
- Industrial relations: Frameworks and practices
- Human resource planning in a changing environment
- Work design challenges in a global environment
- Talent attraction and selection
- Talent retention and development
- Management of Performance
- Strategic Reward Management
- Managing workplace health and safety
- Workplace negotiation processes
- Evaluating HRM: towards the future
- Standard Media
- Web links
- Embedded Multimedia
- Podcasting/Lecture capture
- Streaming Multimedia
- Audio/Video conferencing
- Chat Rooms
- Online assignment submission
- Discussion forum/Discussion Board
- Printable format materials
- Audio-Video streaming
- Online Assessment
- Resources and Links
You must have successfully completed the following subject(s) before starting this subject:
No special requirements
This subject provides an introduction and overview of Strategic Human Resource Management (SHRM). It will provide students with an extensive understanding of the theory and practice of HR so that they can develop policies and practices relating to the legal, ethical and socially responsible management of people at work. Students will critically evaluate the effectiveness of SHRM policies and strategies within different political, social and economic contexts. Areas covered include job analysis and design; recruitment and selection; managing and appraising performance; career planning; health and safety at work; and managing change and conflict.
Please Note: If it’s your first time studying a Curtin University subject you’ll need to complete their compulsory ‘Academic Integrity Program’. It only takes two hours to complete online, and provides you with vital information about studying with Curtin University. The Academic Integrity Program is compulsory, so if it’s not completed your subject grades will be withheld.
Find out more about the Academic Integrity module.
- Case Study 1 (30%)
- Case Study 2 (40%)
- Report (30%)
Textbook information is pending.