International students

We break down the barriers to advancing your career.

Get prepared for online study

If you're new to study, returning after a break, or have never studied in the Australian education system, we recommend taking some preparatory units to fine tune your study skills.

As students studying through OUA need to work within tight timeframes, it's essential you:

English proficiency requirements

All courses and units offered through OUA are taught in English, so you'll need to demonstrate a working knowledge of the English language. We recommend that international students achieve an International English Language Testing System (IELTS) overall score of at least:

Documentation in languages other than English

If you need to submit foreign-language documents such as medical certificates, prior academic results or application documents for a postgraduate course, the documents must be accompanied by certified English translations completed by a professional translator.

Australian student visas

Please remember that studying through OUA does not make you eligible for an Australian student visa. For an Australian student visa, you must have an on-campus place in a course of study at an Australian higher education provider. As most of OUA's units are provided online, OUA's students typically don't meet this requirement.

Australians living overseas

If you're an Australian citizen or permanent resident living, working or holidaying overseas, you can still get an Australian qualification.

And studying online doesn't mean you're studying alone. You can join Discussion Groups; get free help with assignments 24 hours a day, seven days a week; and email your tutors if you have any questions about your units and assessments.

Fees for Australians overseas

While fees will vary depending on the units in which you enrol, international student fees don't apply to Australian citizens or permanent residents, even when you're studying abroad. This means that, as an Australian citizen or permanent resident, you'll never have to pay any additional surcharges or fees for studying overseas.

However, please note that there are residency conditions that will apply if you are looking to access FEE-HELP, the Commonwealth government loan scheme available to eligible students. For more information on FEE-HELP, please visit the Australian government's Study Assist website.