HECS-HELP is a Commonwealth government loan scheme available to eligible students enrolled in Commonwealth supported places (CSPs).

The government pays the loan amount directly to your course provider on your behalf and a HECS-HELP debt is then recorded with the Australian Taxation Office against your Tax File Number. You'll begin to repay the debt once your income is above the minimum threshold. For details on the minimum threshold, please visit the Study Assist website.

Applying for HECS-HELP?

To access HECS-HELP, you need to:

  1. Be admitted into a course as a CSP student 
  2. Complete the course provider's enrolment requirements for your units of study on or before the close of enrolment date. There will be an opportunity to lodge a late application before the Census Date.
  3. Complete, sign and submit a Request for Commonwealth support and HECS-HELP form on or before the Census Date.

CSPs are available for most undergraduate degrees offered through OUA. However, entry requirements may vary for different courses.

HECS-HELP eligibility

To be eligible for HECS-HELP you must be:

  • Enrolled in a unit of study as a CSP student
  • Meet the citizenship and residency requirements:
    • An Australian citizen residing in Australia for all or part of your studies
    • The holder of a permanent humanitarian visa and residing in Australia for the duration of your studies
    • Elligible New Zealand citizens residing in Australia for the duration of the studies.

What HECS-HELP covers

HECS-HELP does not cover:

  • Vocational Education and Training (VET) and TAFE units
  • Bridging units (UNL, PREP)
  • Continuing Professional Education units (through the Australian Computer Society)
  • Textbooks
  • Additional special study materials (such as paintbrushes for art students)
  • Financial penalties incurred for dropping or swapping units

Further information

To find out if you're eligible for HECS-HELP contact a Student Advisor on 1300 363 652 or visit Study Assist.