Financial assistance


FEE-HELP is a Commonwealth government loan scheme that allows eligible students to borrow their fees.

FEE-HELP loans are repaid through the Australian Taxation Office once your income reaches the minimum threshold for compulsory repayment. The repayment threshold for the 2015-2016 income year is $54,126 and the repayment threshold for the 2016-2017 income year is $54,869.

Applications for FEE-HELP can be made online as you enrol for your units.

FEE-HELP eligibility

FEE-HELP is available to:

You must maintain a 50% pass rate to remain eligible for FEE-HELP once you have undertaken 8 or more units.

What FEE-HELP covers

FEE-HELP does not cover:

What do you need to provide to apply for FEE-HELP?

You can complete an online application form if you are an Australian citizen with a Tax File Number (TFN).

Students without a TFN or Australian citizenship must complete a hard-copy FEE-HELP form and provide supporting documentation (e.g. copy of their visa or an assessment letter from CPA/NIA).

New Zealand citizens must complete a hard-copy FEE-HELP form and provide supporting documentation (e.g. copy of their visa and proof of stay in Australia).

Where is the FEE-HELP Form?

To access the online FEE-HELP application, sign into My Study Centre, select Unpaid units and the button to Pay unpaid units.

If you are unable to complete an online FEE-HELP application, contact one of our helpful Student Advisors to request a form to be sent to you in the mail.

Withdrawing from units and FEE-HELP

If you have received FEE-HELP for a unit that you withdraw from, then the date of your withdrawal determines whether you incur a FEE-HELP debt. Check out the Changing your study page for more information.

Commonwealth Assistance Notice (CAN)

Students who use FEE-HELP for all or part of their unit fees will receive a Commonwealth Assistance Notice (CAN). A CAN statement contains information about your enrolment and use of FEE-HELP.

Your CAN statement is issued electronically or by mail within 28 days of the Census Date. You can access an electronic Commonwealth Assistance Notice (eCAN) in the My Study Centre section of the OUA website, via the Statements and results page. Select the FEE-HELP eCAN option to download or print it any time.

If you believe your CAN account contains any errors, you can lodge a dispute within 14 days of the issue date. Disputes must be made in writing and sent to:

Student Administration
Open Universities Australia
GPO Box 5387
Melbourne VIC 3001

Further Information:

To find out if you're eligible for FEE-HELP contact our Student Advisors on 1300 363 652 or visit the Study Assist website.