Master of Quantitative Biology (1.5 years)
Australian Higher Education Loan Program (HELP)
- No dates available
Upon successful completion of this program, students should be able to:
- Develop a unique skillset in quantitative biology that is increasingly sought after in commercial, government and academic sectors.
- Learn directly from researchers who develop and apply quantitative approaches to solve biological problems in areas as diverse as conservation, human health, and agriculture.
- Take advantage of intensive and/or flexible teaching modes.
- Research scientist
- Environmental consultant
- Natural resources manager
- Public health researcher
- Biomedical researcher
- Data scientist
To be eligible for entry, you'll need:
- a bachelor's degree (or equivalent) in a field of biology and have completed university-level mathematics including biostatistics, or
- a bachelor's degree (or equivalent) in mathematics and have completed first-year university-level biology.
You must have a grade point average (GPA) of 5.0 on a 7-point scale in your previous qualification.
English Proficiency Requirements
All applicants must satisfy the UQ English language proficiency requirements for admission.
If you've completed previous study, you may be eligible to receive credit for – or exemption from – certain subjects in a UQ program. Assessment of prior learning and the granting of credit or exemption will be consistent with the Recognition of Prior Learning Policy (limits in section 2.4).
The Master of Quantitative Biology is the first of its kind in Australia. It integrates theory and practice through foundational courses in programming in biology and intensive core courses that focus on stochastic modelling, optimisation and computational methods in biology.
Investigate how nature works and learn to manage and organise complex data sets, perform complex statistical analyses, model natural processes and create testable theories in the context of model and non-model biological systems. Gain coding skills essential for gathering, handling, analysing and visualising biological data, and master software including Unix/Linux, Python and R.
You will learn to navigate High Performance Computer platforms and spatial ecology tools, such as remote sensing.
This program is taught in an intensive mode, so you can complete the equivalent of two years' study in just 12 to 18 months. Graduate equipped to start advanced training in multiple areas of biology, work directly with industry and government, or create new enterprises for complex data analyses.