Warning! This is a restricted degree. Subject enrolment is only available to students admitted into this degree.
Master of Forensic Mental Health
This degree is a collaboration with the Queensland Health Department's School of Mental Health
Become a highly valued forensic mental health specialist able to practise at an advanced level. Study assessment, legislation and policies, research and evaluation. Examine interventions with offenders, justice and crime, law and behaviour.
Australian Higher Education Loan Program (HELP)
With a network of campuses across Brisbane and the Gold Coast, Griffith University is committed to progressive multidisciplinary teaching and research and a valuable online provider with Open Universities Australia. Already attracting students from more than 122 countries, Griffith's dedication to academic excellence is available across Australia through OUA.
QS RANKING 2020
Times Higher Education Ranking 2020
Graduates of this Masters Degree (Coursework) will have:
- a body of knowledge that includes the understanding of recent developments in forensic mental health.
- knowledge of research principles and methods applicable to forensic mental health.
Graduates of this Masters Degree (Coursework) will have:
- cognitive skills to demonstrate mastery of theoretical knowledge and to reflect critically on forensic mental health theory and professional practice
- cognitive and technical skills to investigate, analyse and synthesise complex forensic mental health problems, concepts and theories and to apply established relevant theories to different bodies of knowledge or operational practice in forensic mental health services.
- cognitive and technical skills to generate and evaluate complex contemporary forensic mental health ideas and concepts at an abstract level
- communication and technical research skills to justify and interpret theoretical propositions, methodologies, conclusions and professional decisions to key stakeholder groups in the forensic mental health field.
- technical and communication skills to theorise, design, analyse and evaluate about evidence-based policies that contribute to forensic mental health practice
Application of Knowledge and Skills
Graduates of this Masters Degree (Coursework) will demonstrate the application of knowledge & skills:
- (with initiative) to new situations in professional forensic mental health practice and/or for further learning
- high level personal autonomy and accountability
- to plan and execute a substantial research-based project
On completion of the course students will have:
- A working understanding of policies and legislation relevant to the administration of forensic mental health
- Knowledge of the history of thinking, policy and practice with respect to forensic mental health, and be able to critically apply that knowledge to contemporary problems in forensic mental health services
- Knowledge of professional ethics and systems of accountability, particularly as these relate to the delivery of forensic mental health services
- Achieved competencies in applied risk assessment and risk management of forensic mental health patients
- Achieved competencies in the clinical assessment, treatment and management of forensic mental health patients
To be eligible for admission to the Master of Forensic Mental Health course, a student must hold:
- a three-year Bachelor degree in a related field (Psychology, Nursing, Criminology, Social Work or other mental health-related discipline)from a recognised tertiary institution with a minimum grade point average of 4.0 (on a 7-point scale)
- OR a Graduate Certificate in Forensic Mental Health with a minimum grade point average of 4.0 (on a 7-point scale).
English Proficiency Requirements
English language requirements apply to International applicants and other applicants whose previous study was undertaken in a language other than English. The minimum English language requirements for such applicants for entry to this program are as follows:
- A minimum overall band score of 7.0 on IELTS (Academic) with no sub-score of less than 6.5
- OR a minimum score of 580 on TOEFL
- OR an internet-based (iBT) TOEFL score of 92 (no score less than 22)
- OR no score less than 4 in each skill of the ISLPR (conducted by ISLPR Language Services only)
- OR a minimum grade of C on the Cambridge Certificate of Proficiency in English (CPE)
- OR an overall score of 68 in the Pearson Test of English (Academic) with a minimum of 60 in all Communicative Skills.
English test results must be no more than two years old.
Students who successfully complete the following program will progress directly to their Griffith degree program:
The above requirements are HIGHER than those stipulated in University policy. Applicants should refer to the English language requirements section of the following policy for further information:
Griffith University may award credit for prior learning. Students can apply to gain credit for prior learning at the postgraduate level by lodging a credit transfer application form. For further information and a copy of the form, please contact Griffith University.
This degree is delivered in collaboration with Queensland Health's Forensic Mental Health Service to provide postgraduate professional training for current or future forensic mental health practitioners, including nurses, psychologists, social workers and psychiatrists. It also provides an extension to undergraduate degrees in nursing, applied science, criminology and criminal justice, and applied psychology. The degree provides advanced training to enhance and develop specialist skills and knowledge to work more effectively with the forensic mental health population. You will gain a thorough understanding of research-based knowledge in forensic mental health and how it is applied in practice.
To be eligible for the award of Master of Forensic Mental Health (MForMentH), a student must acquire 120 credit points as prescribed below:
- gain 90 credit points for the core subjects and
- gain 30 credit points for elective subjects
- the maximum period for completing this program is 5 years.
We make it easy to apply online through Open Universities Australia.
Choose subjects to begin.
Fill out your details and choose a payment option. You can apply for government funding or pay up-front – all in one place.