Master of Business Administration
The MBA with unique specialisations
This MBA offers a huge range of specialisations. Home in on interests in cyber security, hospitality, project management, health care and even environmental management. Take on an internship during your studies, organised by the university.
Australian Higher Education Loan Program (HELP)
Online and some attendance
- No dates available
ECU has been ranked one of the world’s best young universities and Australia’s best public university for teaching quality. That quality extends to more than 6,000 students studying online. ECU offers the same quality of teaching to you, regardless of where you’re studying in the world. Their flexible study solutions include a huge range of online courses, recognising your need to juggle work, family or other commitments.
QS RANKING 2020
Times Higher Education Ranking 2020
At the end of the program, students of the Master of Business Administration can:
- apply critical thinking and technical skills to solve authentic business problems
- demonstrate effective communication and teamwork skills appropriate to cultural contexts
- demonstrate mastery of a global body of discipline knowledge and practice, including knowledge of research principles and methods
- independently initiate, plan and execute a substantial project to meet agreed deliverables
- justify decisions and judgements that address a complex business issue considering the ethical and social consequences.
The course prepares graduates for employment and career progression across various disciplines, including, but not limited to; entrepreneurship and innovation, environmental management, finance, healthcare, human resources, information systems, international business, occupational health and safety, marketing, project management, and supply chain and logistics management.
Possible future job titles: Manager, Managing Director, Chief Information Officer, Analyst, Environmental Manager, Finance and Banking Manager, Government, Healthcare Manager, Human Resources Manager, IT Manager
One or more of the specialisations in this course is externally recognised when studied within this course. Refer to the specialisation for more information.
All applicants are required to have a minimum of three years appropriate and/or relevant supervisory or managerial experience if applying with a Bachelor degree.
One or more of the specialisations in this course has admission requirements. Refer to the specialisation for more information.
Work and Life
Alternatively applicants can may apply with at least five years appropriate professional experience, or apply with a Graduate Certificate of Business or a Graduate Diploma of Business, with equivalents considered.
English Proficiency Requirements
English competency requirements may be satisfied through completion of one of the following:
- IELTS Academic Overall band minimum score of 6.5 (no individual band less than 6.0);
- Bachelor degree from a country specified on the English Proficiency Bands page;
- Successfully completed 0.375 EFTSL of study at postgraduate level or higher at an Australian higher education provider (or equivalent);
- Where accepted, equivalent prior learning, including at least five years relevant professional experience; or
- Other tests, courses or programs defined on the English Proficiency Bands page.
The internship program comprises two units. These units concentrate on the development and application of non-technical skills important to the students' chosen profession and developing an awareness of professional conduct within the Australian work context. Students will develop a professional portfolio which will help demonstrate to potential employers their developed skills and suitability for employment. The program also provides an opportunity for students to apply their disciplinary knowledge and demonstrate leadership and autonomy in the research, planning, design and implementation of a work-based project which is related to their postgraduate degree studies.
During this internship, students are expected to demonstrate evidence of professional conduct, initiative and professional leadership at the standards expected by industry, as well as demonstrate a capacity to work effectively in a team-based environment.
Typically, students will be required to take both units in the same semester, working on a full-time basis (37.5 hours per week) over a 16-week period in their assigned host organisation. These working hours may include shift and/or weekend work depending on the nature of the organisation. Working arrangement may vary on an individual basis.
In addition to the 16 weeks of full-time work, students will be required to attend on-campus preparatory and end of semester seminars, as instructed by the Unit Coordinator. Internships and partners will be secured through the Work-Integrated Learning Coordinator, Work Placement Coordinator or as a result of pre-approved networking and contacts developed by the student. Terms of payment, if any, will be negotiated on an individual basis.
Clearances and/or Risk Management Protocols Required
Procedures will be in place to ensure that enrolled students have the necessary clearances and visas prior to their internship. Students will be advised of these requirements during the application process. Student visas do allow for full-time paid employment, as long as this is part of a formal, academic learning program (such as this unit specialisation).
The management of risk is addressed in the induction process on-campus and by the host organisation.
Professional practice rules
Enrolled students will be issued with an internship guide which outlines the expected code of conduct and responsibilities.
If you're applying for a course and have previous study or professional experience, you may be eligible for what we call 'advanced standing'.
For more information and to apply please go to https://www.ecu.edu.au/future-students/course-entry/advanced-standing
Become a leader and study the Master of Business Administration, choosing from one of our 14 specialisations.The MBA develops and educates highly-skilled managers and leaders who can contribute to organisations in an effective and responsible manner.
In a globally competitive environment, it is essential to build capability by creating climates and cultures conducive to innovation and advancement. This program provides students with the ability to respond to challenging situations in complex and modern organisations.
It also builds and further develops problem-solving skills, and effective interpersonal and relationship management skills, with a focus on personal and professional development.
Students are required to complete 8 core units and: 1 x 60 credit point Area of Specialisation (typically equivalent to 3 units) and 1 Business Elective unit; or 4 x Business Elective units.
- FBL5010 Managing People and Organisations
- FBL5020 Marketing Leadership
- FBL5030 Fundamentals of Value Creation in Business
- MBA6010 Responsible Management
- MBA6020 Personal and Professional Development
- MBA6030 Information, Contemporary Technologies and Decision Making
- MBA6050 Leadership, Strategy and Change
- MBA6090 Entrepreneurship, Innovation and Creativity
Choose your subjects
One or more of the specialisations in this course has admission requirements and is externally recognised when studied within this course.
- Cyber Security Studies
- Entrepreneurship and Innovation
- Environmental Management
- Finance (all applicants are required to have an undergraduate degree in an area other than finance and banking)
- Health Care Leadership and Management
- Hospitality Management
- Human Resource Management (some of the units within this specialisation are offered in intensive mode, which involves four full days on-campus, 2 x two-day sessions scheduled on a Friday and Saturday, in conjunction with online discussion and support)
- Information Systems
- International Business
- Management of Occupational Health and Safety
- Professional Internship
- Project Management (this specialisation has been endorsed by the Australian Institute of Project Management - AIPM)
- Supply Chain and Logistics Management (graduates are eligible for membership with Chartered Institute Logistics and Transport Australia - CILTA)