Graduate Diploma of Mathematics Education
Add mathematics to your teaching repertoire
This short postgraduate course upskills teachers with maths skills and teaching methods. Start with foundational mathematics then further explore algebra, statistics, calculus, and more. Learn to communicate complex mathematical ideas to students.
Australian Higher Education Loan Program (HELP)
- 25 Sep 22
QS RANKING 2022
Times Higher Education Ranking 2022
Our student advisors are here to guide you with:
- Enrolling and eligibility
- Fee and loan information
- Credit and recognition for prior learning
On completion of this program students should be able to achieve the following learning outcomes:
- Solve complex problems in Algebra, Geometry, Statistics, Calculus and Discrete Mathematics.
- Demonstrate critical thinking skills, including formulating and modelling practical and abstract problems in mathematical terms.
- Apply mathematical principles, concepts, techniques and technology to solve practical and abstract problems.
- Communicate theoretical concepts in Mathematics to a range of audiences.
- Demonstrate the application of knowledge and skills with ethical responsibility and accountability for further learning.
- Combine theoretical mathematical knowledge with practical educational approaches to teaching mathematics.
Having a Graduate Diploma in Mathematics will mean you have valuable skills that make you attractive to a wide range of employers and organisations. It is possible to gain employment such as:
- Secondary mathematics teacher
- Head teacher, mathematics
To be eligible for admission to the Graduate Diploma of Mathematics Education applicants must meet the following specific requirements:
- Possession of a Bachelor’s award (AQF level 7 qualification) or equivalent in Initial Teacher Education.
- Possession of a Bachelor’s award (AQF level 7 qualification) and concurrent study in a Master of Teaching (AQF level 9 qualification).
The program will be delivered using a combination of self-directed and on-line learning. Some learning activities will be delivered via 3-hour long evening classes.
Credit for equivalent prior learning may be awarded for up to 50% of this Program. Applications for Advanced Standing and Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL) will be considered and reviewed on a case by case basis by UNDA's Student Administration.
The Graduate Diploma of Mathematics Education provides a pathway for secondary teachers to retrain in the area of Mathematics. The program includes the four courses contained in the Graduate Certificate (including linear algebra and calculus) in Mathematics along with two advanced mathematics content courses, a mathematics teaching methods course and a Core curriculum course. As part of a nested sequence of programs, these additional courses are also the foundation for the Master of Mathematics Education.
Recommended Study Pattern
To be eligible for the award of Graduate Diploma of Mathematics Education students must complete a minimum of 200 Units of Credit, comprising:
One (1) Core Curriculum subject:
- PHTH6002 Reason and Revelation
Seven (7) compulsory MATH subjects:
- MATH5000 Principles of Mathematics
- MATH5001 Linear Algebra
- MATH5002 Statistics
- MATH5030 Calculus
- MATH5003 Advanced Calculus
- MATH5004 Discrete Mathematics
- MATH5080 Teaching Methods in Mathematics
Completion of 200 units of credit from 8 required courses listed in the Recommended Study Pattern.
Students may exit with a Graduate Certificate.
A Student is entitled to apply for a Degree, Diploma or Certificate of the University when a Student has: completed all the requirements of that Degree, Diploma or Certificate; and paid all fees, charges or fines which are outstanding.
You can apply direct through Open Universities Australia.
Once you've checked your eligibility, apply and enrol for this degree following the steps.
Select ‘Apply now’
Choose subjects to begin your application. You can choose 1 or 2 subjects to start.
Complete your details
Provide your details and select a funding option. You can pay up-front or apply for government funding in your application.
We're here to help answer your questions. Our friendly student advisors provide 7 day support.