Graduate Diploma in Business Administration (Health)
Focus on a future in the health sector
Prepare for work in the health and aged care sector with this specialisation. Understand how to interpret financial information to evaluate organisational performance. Build organisational sustainability through contemporary management practices.
Australian Higher Education Loan Program (HELP)
Online and some attendance
- No dates available
Flinders University is a globally-focused, locally-engaged institution with a reputation for excellence in teaching, learning and research. We offer world‐class education that develops the critical and creative thinking skills to support a student’s success. Our courses offered through OUA span business, education and law. They are designed with flexibility in mind, while delivering the advanced qualifications to take careers to the next step.
QS RANKING 2021
Times Higher Education Ranking 2021
Graduates will be able to:
- Explain the role of and apply economics, accounting, financial management, human resource management and marketing knowledge and skills in decision making and management of organisations.
- Recognise the potential impact of local and global economic conditions and events, with emphasis on the Asia Pacific region, on the operations and strategic management of organisations.
- Apply sound financial management techniques and analytical skills to authentic operations and strategic management issues of organisations.
- Apply contemporary strategic management practices compatible with organisational sustainability, ethical behaviour and effective workforce relations.
- Describe a range of research methods useful in the conduct of industry and organisation based projects, and discuss their benefits and limitations.
- Work both individually and in groups to conduct business research and critically evaluate the findings to solve business related problems.
- Present theoretical concepts and complex ideas in both written and verbal formats appropriate for a range of stakeholder audiences.
- Relate and apply their knowledge and skills to the health sector.
Graduates are suitable for careers in business, international marketing, banking and finance, management consulting, negotiations and planning.
Applicants must normally:
- hold a bachelor degree or equivalent qualification in a health-related discipline and have a minimum of four years’ full-time equivalent professional work experience in the health or aged care sector by the commencement date of the course; or hold the Graduate Certificate of Business Administration from Flinders University or equivalent qualification and have a minimum of four years’ full-time equivalent professional experience working in the health or aged care sector by the commencement date of the course.
Applicants who meet the academic and/or work experience requirements must take part in an interview.
Work and Life
Applicants must have a minimum of four years’ full-time equivalent professional experience working in the health or aged care sector by the commencement date of the course.
English Proficiency Requirements
Flinders University conducts an English Language proficiency check on applications submitted for consideration to its courses.
This will be met in a number of ways, including if the applicants:
- first language is English (i.e. citizenship is held for a country where English is the official language)
- completed secondary schooling in Australia
- completed prior study in English (e.g. a Certificate IV or higher from a recognised Australian training institution)
- completed one semester of full-time equivalent tertiary study at a higher education institution
- completed a recognised Foundation Studies or bridging program
- performance in the Special Tertiary Admissions Test (STAT) meets the University's admissions requirements
- registered with an Australian professional registration body relevant to the applicant's proposed course (e.g. applicant holds current registration as a Registered Nurse, General Practitioner, Teacher, Physiotherapist, Occupational Therapist, Social Worker and such in Australia)
- achieved a score within an international English language proficiency test such as IELTS, PTE, TOEFL or Cambridge CAE that meets the minimum proficiency for the university
- completed an approved English language course from a registered English Language Intensive Course for Overseas Students (ELICOS) Provider
In some instances, applicants may be asked to provide evidence they meet the requirements if the information required is not available in their application.
On campus requirements
On-campus intensive workshops are part of the health component for this degree.
Credit transfer may be granted, on application, for prior study completed in a relevant honours, graduate certificate, graduate diploma or master degree; accredited professional development; or relevant work experience.
Applications for credit transfer are assessed on a case by case basis according to Flinders University policies. Students must be made an offer for entry into a degree before lodging their completed credit transfer application, along with all necessary documentation for formal assessment. More information is available at www.flinders.edu.au/credit
The postgraduate program in business administration is designed to provide you with the necessary knowledge and skills for a successful career as a manager in a range of organisations. These courses may also provide graduates the opportunity to pursue entrepreneurial interests or work in a consultant capacity.
You will be able to study the new accelerated online degrees in a highly engaging environment, expanding your business skills into areas such as accounting, economics, strategic marketing, financial management, managing people, leadership, sustainability, supply chain and global context.
Our teaching philosophy and online content ensure that you can really engage with the person leading the learning while also interacting with your fellow students. You will have access to interactive activities, online group discussions and a capstone strategic business project.
This degree is designed to provide a strong foundation in business knowledge together with an opportunity to specialise in Health. Management and business oriented topics ensure a thorough understanding of important fundamental management competencies.
It is 1 year in length on a full-time basis and can be undertaken part-time.
Recommended Study Pattern
Students complete six core (compulsory) topics and two topics chosen from a range of available health topics aimed at providing students a sound understanding and appreciation of the context in which organisations operate including the impact of global economic, social, environmental and ethical and business conditions and practices with a focus in health.
Health subjects require students to attend intensive workshops on-campus.
As a guide, full-time students generally undertake two subjects per study period and part-time students undertake one subject per study period.
To complete the requirements of the Graduate Diploma in Business Administration (Health), students must successfully complete six core (compulsory) subjects and two subjects chosen from a range of available elective subjects.
Students may choose to exit the Graduate Diploma in Business Administration with a Graduate Certificate in Business Administration, provided the requirements are met.