Graduate Diploma in Business Administration (Health)
Focus on a future in the health sector.
Prepare for work in the health and aged care sector, with this specialisation. Understand how to interpret financial information to evaluate organisational performance. Build organisational sustainability through contemporary management practices.
Flinders University is a globally-focused, locally-engaged institution with a reputation for excellence in teaching, learning and research. We offer world‐class education that develops the critical and creative thinking skills to support a student’s success. Our courses offered through OUA span business, education and law. They are designed with flexibility in mind, while delivering the advanced qualifications to take careers to the next step.
Graduates will be able to:
- explain how decision making and the management of organisations is aided by knowledge of theory and practice in a range of business sub-disciplines;
- analyse organisations and apply contemporary management practices compatible with organisational, social and environmental sustainability;
- present theoretical concepts and complex ideas in both written and verbal formats appropriate for management audiences.
Graduates are suitable for careers in business, international marketing, banking and finance, management consulting, negotiations and planning.
Applicants must normally:
- hold a bachelor degree or equivalent qualification in a health-related discipline and have a minimum of four years’ full-time equivalent professional work experience in the health or aged care sector by the commencement date of the course, or;
- hold a Graduate Certificate of Business Administration from Flinders University or equivalent qualification and have a minimum of four years’ full-time equivalent professional experience working in the health or aged care sector by the commencement date of the course.
Applicants who meet the academic and/or work experience requirements must take part in an interview.
On campus requirements
On-campus intensive workshops are part of the health component for this degree.
Credit transfer may be granted, on application, for prior study completed in a relevant honours, graduate certificate, graduate diploma or master degree; accredited professional development; or relevant work experience.
Applications for credit transfer are assessed on a case by case basis according to Flinders University policies. Students must be made an offer for entry into a degree before lodging their completed credit transfer application, along with all necessary documentation for formal assessment. More information is available at www.flinders.edu.au/credit
This degree is designed to provide a strong foundation in business knowledge together with an opportunity to specialise in Health. Management and business oriented topics ensure a thorough understanding of important fundamental management competencies.
It is 8 months in length on a full-time basis and can be undertaken part-time.
Recommended Study Pattern
Students complete six core (compulsory) subjects and two subjects chosen from a range of available health subjects aimed at providing students a sound understanding and appreciation of the context in which organisations operate including the impact of global economic, social, environmental and ethical and business conditions and practices with a focus in health.
Health subjects require students to attend intensive workshops on-campus.
As a guide, full-time students generally undertake two subjects per study period and part-time students undertake one subject per study period.
To complete the requirements of the Graduate Diploma in Business Administration (Health), students must successfully complete six core (compulsory) subjects and two subjects chosen from a range of available elective subjects.
Students may choose to exit the Graduate Diploma in Business Administration with a Graduate Certificate in Business Administration, provided the requirements are met.