This degree aims to enable students to:
- demonstrate an understanding of learning theory; implement sound teaching practices in their discipline area that include innovative and appropriate assessment processes
- capacity to apply critical reasoning to issues and evaluate opinions and to reflect on the literature using an evidence-based approach
- ability to research, evaluate and synthesise scholarly and professional information relevant to education; Capacity to articulate a sound argument
- ability to collect, analyse and organise information and ideas and convey those ideas clearly and fluently and apply them in both face-to-face and online environments; ability to actively listen and respond to the ideas of other people
- ability to engage effectively and appropriately with information and communication technologies; to select and use appropriate information and communication technology to retireve, manipulate and present information
- demonstrate the capacity for independent self-directed learning; possess self knowledge and the ability to reflect on teaching performance
- compare and contrast international approaches to what are considered best practices for tertiary teaching and implement appropriate standards and practices into their own discipline
- appreciate and value the variety and range of cultural backgrounds of tertiary students and provide considered programs and materials which are sensitive to student needs and beliefs
- possess the abilities and skills that provide a foundation for present and future leadership in education; has an appreciation of social and ethical responsibilities and the ability to apply ethical standards.
The Graduate Certificate in Tertiary Teaching is considered an advanced preparation for teaching in a tertiary setting. It is therefore an advantage when seeking employment in a higher education setting.
The Graduate Certificate in Tertiary Teaching is open to students who have an undergraduate degree relevant to the academic field in which they are teaching. Applicants should be currently employed in tertiary teaching or seeking to be employed in higher education.
English Proficiency Requirements
Applicants need to meet Curtin’s English Language requirement as all courses are taught in English. If your education qualifications were not predominantly in English, the minimum English language requirements are: International English Language Testing System (IELTS Academic): with a minimum overall score of 6.5 (with a 7 in writing and reading and with no component score lower than 6.0).
Please refer to the 'Minimum English Entry Requirements' document at http://students.curtin.edu.au/local/docs/English_List.pdf.
Applications for Credit for Recognised Learning (CRL) are assessed on a case by case basis according to Curtin University policies which is available at http://policies.curtin.edu.au/local/docs/policy/Credit_for_Recognised_Learning_Manual.pdf.
Students must be admitted in an award degree of study before lodging their completed CRL application, along with all necessary documentation for a formal assessment.
To officially apply for CRL, students need to submit the CRL application form available from http://students.curtin.edu.au/administration/documents/Application_for_CRL.pdf to email@example.com along with supporting documents. Accepted documentation includes scans of the original Transcripts and/or Award Certificate; front and back; in colour; and original size. For detailed scanned documents requirements and guidelines, please visit http://courses.curtin.edu.au/course_overview/admission-requirements/scanned-documents.cfm.
For further information, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Graduate Certificate of Tertiary Teaching education degree through Curtin University offers a comprehensive range of subjects to guarantee you are ready for real-world classrooms when you graduate. Subject subjects covered include developing professional curriculum practices, leadership and innovation skills, effective communication between students, peers and the community and working in online learning environments.
The Graduate Certificate in Tertiary Teaching is designed for tertiary educators seeking to improve their teaching skills and gain recognised teaching qualifications.The content of the Graduate Certificate in Tertiary Teaching is designed to be applicable to all teaching disciplines at the tertiary level, and is suitable for those teaching in face-to-face, flexible and online learning environments.
To qualify for the award of Graduate Certificate in Tertiary Teaching students must complete four subjects.