Warning! This is a restricted degree. Subject enrolment is only available to students admitted into this degree.
Graduate Certificate in Education Studies (full-time only)
Refresh your teaching knowledge
This course is discounted under the Government’s Higher Education Relief Package when studied full-time from May-December, 2020. Study current trends from around the world to further your education career. Work towards a master’s degree in the field.
Australian Higher Education Loan Program (HELP)
- 16 Aug 20
- 15 Nov 20
- 01 Nov 20
- 05 Jul 20
Start your career with Curtin’s globally recognised courses and extensive industry connections. Through OUA, our online courses offer an interactive and collaborative learning experience that gets you the same degree as if you studied on campus. Curtin is a global university with a vibrant culture of innovation and collaboration and is ranked in the top one per cent of universities worldwide.
QS RANKING 2020
Times Higher Education Ranking 2020
This graduate certificate aims to enable students to:
- demonstrate an understanding of learning theory; implement sound teaching practices in their discipline area that include innovative and appropriate assessment processes
- capacity to apply critical reasoning to issues and evaluate opinions and to reflect on the literature using an evidence-based approach
- ability to research, evaluate and synthesise scholarly and professional information relevant to education; Capacity to articulate a sound argument
- ability to collect, analyse and organise information and ideas and convey those ideas clearly and fluently and apply them in both face-to-face and online environments; ability to actively listen and respond to the ideas of other people
- ability to engage effectively and appropriately with information and communication technologies; to select and use appropriate information and communication technology to retrieve, manipulate and present information
- demonstrate the capacity for independent self-directed learning; possess self knowledge and the ability to reflect on teaching performance
- compare and contrast international approaches to what are considered best practices for tertiary teaching and implement appropriate standards and practices into their own discipline
- appreciate and value the variety and range of cultural backgrounds of tertiary students and provide considered programs and materials which are sensitive to student needs and beliefs
- possess the abilities and skills that provide a foundation for present and future leadership in education; has an appreciation of social and ethical responsibilities and the ability to apply ethical standards.
A four year undergraduate degree in teaching including evidence to show the assessed practicum component
A bachelor degree and a one year postgraduate degree in teaching including evidence to show the assessed practicum component
A bachelor degree and a CELTA or Cert IV TESOL qualification including evidence to show the assessed practicum component
* Note: A Certificate IV In Training and Assessment is not an approved teaching qualification for entry into this program.
English Proficiency Requirements
Applicants need to meet Curtin’s English Language requirement as all degrees are taught in English. If your education degrees were not solely in English, as per the International Handbook of Universities or the World Higher Education database, please attach a scanned original copy of English Proficiency Test results. Admission requires an overall International English Language Testing System (IELTS Academic) (or equivalent test) score of at least 6.5 and competence in all test components (IELTS score of 6.0).
Please refer to the 'Minimum English Entry Requirements' document at http://students.curtin.edu.au/local/docs/English_List.pdf.
Applicants for a Graduate Certificate are required to meet University academic and English language entry standards; details are provided at: https://study.curtin.edu.au/applying/english-language-requirements/accepted-english-proficiency-tests/.
*** Please Note: If any academic or legal document is not in English, you must provide a colour scan of the non-English documents, including a colour scan of the official English translations of these documents. This is for comparison purposes. ***
This course is a wonderful refresher for anyone working in the field of education or teaching, or it could be an introduction to new learnings. You will explore current trends from around the world, select a subject or combination to focus on and participate in a research project designed to explore issues in further detail. You will also learning the basics of conducting a research project in educational settings.
To qualify for the Graduate Certificate in Education Studies students must complete four subjects.
Choose subjects to begin.
You can apply for government funding or pay up-front.