Warning! This is a restricted degree. Subject enrolment is only available to students admitted into this degree.
Graduate Certificate in Education (Introduction to Teaching)
Ideal if you're thinking about moving into teaching
This course is discounted under the Government’s Higher Education Relief Package when studied full-time from May-December, 2020. Designed as an introduction to education. Learn the responsibilities of educators and the importance of education.
Australian Higher Education Loan Program (HELP)
Online and some attendance
- 12 Jul 20
- 16 Aug 20
- 15 Nov 20
This research-based university in Perth has a strong interdisciplinary focus and a reputation for outstanding teaching and ground-breaking research. With more than 22,000 students and 2,000 staff from over 90 countries, and campuses in Dubai and Singapore, Murdoch embraces free thinking, shared ideas and knowledge to make a difference, and Open Universities Australia is certainly part of that.
QS RANKING 2020
Times Higher Education Ranking 2020
At the completion of this degree students will be able to:
- develop an awareness of inclusive education
- gain an in-depth understanding of the Australian schooling system
- analyse the diverse role of the teacher, including their core responsibilities
- develop an action plan for personal and professional growth in the field of education
- recognise the importance of diverse perspectives in education
- understand the history, theory and practice of education
- explore classroom management techniques.
Please note that this course is NOT a recognised Initial Teacher Education course.
A recognised Bachelor's degree.
English Proficiency Requirements
Students demonstrating English competence via IELTS, or an equivalent English Language proficiency assessment, must have attained an overall IELTS (or equivalent) score of 7.5 (with no score less than 7.0 in any of the four skills areas, and a score of no less than 8 in speaking and listening), on entry.
- This course must be completed full-time (within 6 months).
- Proof of Australian citizenship is required. Please upload a scanned copy of your birth certificate or Australian passport or citizenship certificate along with your application.
Prior to any school based experience, it is mandatory that pre-service teachers complete or obtain several forms and clearances. Information and forms regarding these mandatory requirements can be accessed via the Professional Experience website: http://www.murdoch.edu.au/School-of-Education/Professional-Experience Completion and submission of these mandatory requirements is essential before placements can be arranged.
Find out if you are eligible and apply at https://www.murdoch.edu.au/study/courses/undergraduate-courses/recognition-of-prior-learning.
The role of an educator is more than teaching - they are responsible for opening doors, providing opportunities and inspiring our future leaders. On a day-to-day basis, they’re faced with a room full of curiosity, as they explore important techniques and critical thinking.
This short course has been designed as an introduction to Primary or Secondary education and is perfect for anyone thinking about the move into Primary or Secondary teaching. Over the course of six months, you will learn the unique responsibilities of teachers, the importance of education and Australia’s schooling system.
Hear from industry leaders and experience the classroom first hand to help you improve on vital skills required for a successful teaching career.
To qualify for the award of Graduate Certificate in Education (Introduction to Teaching) students must complete the following three (3) core subjects:
- EDU616U Teaching, Learning and Working in Culturally Diverse Environments
- EDN517 Learning: Multiple Perspectives, Policies and Practices (double eftsl subject)
- EDN550 Transition to Teaching OR EDN5501 Transition to Teaching
Choose subjects to begin.
You can apply for government funding or pay up-front.