Diploma of Applied Information Technology
Australian Higher Education Loan Program (HELP)
The third university established in Victoria, La Trobe University has a diverse community of more than 33,000 students and staff. Its commitment to excellence in teaching and research prepares students to make a bold and positive impact in today's global community. La Trobe provides Open Universities Australia with its core tenets, entrepreneurship and sustainability.
QS RANKING 2020
Times Higher Education Ranking 2020
Upon successful completion of this diploma students should be able to:
- Locate, interrogate and evaluate relevant business-related literature to develop Information Technology (IT) specifications for business information systems.
- Appraise and modify strategies to solve system problems and other challenges in IT.
- Implement and evaluate solutions for IT in complex business and technical problems consistent with professional standards.
- Apply fundamental information system design concepts and computer-based techniques to solve business and related problems.
This course has been designed with a high employability focus in the exciting world of IT. Graduates will fit roles that bridge the gap between technical and management personnel. Career opportunities include:
- Level 1 Help Desk
- Technical Support Level 1
- Desktop Support
- Database Support
- Software Tester
- Asset Coordinator
- Client Services Officer
- Entry Level Application Installer
Students may apply to this degree having met an equivalent academic level achievement in higher education.
Completion of Year 12, with a score of at least 25 in English. An ATAR of at least 50.0 or equivalent is required.
Completion of a minimum Certificate IV
Work and Life
Students may apply based on at least one year of relevant work experience after leaving school.
Students who have studied at tertiary level elsewhere, or who have relevant studies or work experience, may be eligible for advanced standing (credit) towards a La Trobe University qualification. Advanced standing enables you to complete your degree earlier, reduce your study load and/or take on additional qualifications. We can provide you with more details about the process for advanced standing at enrolment (advanced standing is similar to recognised prior learning).
Leading global research company IBIS reported that IT as we know it will become the most important utility of this century. By 2050, it is expected to generate $1 Trillion in revenue in Australia alone. IT is vital to any industry, so this diploma will kick start your career into the future!
Please note that you will be required to enrol in the 3 Year Applied Information Technology Degree, but can exit after 1 Year with the University Diploma should you complete it successfully.
Recommended Study Pattern
As a full-time student, each year of your course must be completed within 12 months. You will then achieve your diploma by studying 8 subjects over a 1 year timeframe.* Undertaking 30 hours of study per week should see you successfully complete your qualification within this timeframe. Each subject has specific deadlines based around your study plan which you must meet.
You may undertake your studies part-time instead, however, this will extend the duration of your course. Feel free to ask the La Trobe Student Admissions Team about this option.
*Minimum timeframe for the diploma is 12 months. This can vary according to:
- Your progress in the course
- Leave of absence, such as holidays
- Advanced standing granted
- Changes between part-time and full-time
- Availability of subjects (for preferred elective options)
Completion of 8 subjects under the recommended study pattern