Download a course guide
Get advice on this course
The Graduate Certificate in Middle Years Education is designed to give qualified teachers the opportunity to become specialists in the middle years of education and enhance their development as a professional. The Graduate Certificate in Middle Years Education aims to provide students with a grounding in the latest research and new approaches to providing effective curriculum, pedagogy and assessment in the middle years of schooling.
This course aims to enable students to:
- possess the latest research and new approaches to providing effective curriculum, pedagogy and assessment in the middle years of schooling
- enhance their understanding of young people in the 21st century and best practice to meet their unique learning needs
- have an awareness of ethical and professional standards
- provide creative and innovative critical analysis and evaluation.
Middle Years Education is relatively new in Australian schools and many teachers working within this phase of schooling do not have formal qualifications in this area. The course will be of considerable benefit to teachers who are teaching in upper primary, lower secondary or in dedicated middle schools within P-12 schools to enhance their opportunities in middle years education settings.
Students must hold an undergraduate teaching degree or equivalent from a recognised tertiary institution.
Required IELTS Score: 7.5 in reading and writing, and an 8 in speaking and listening as required by teacher education programs.
The units from the Graduate Certificate in Middle Years Education have been recoded in 2015. The details of these changes are below:
Pre-2015 Course Units
EDN101 – Foundation Principles of Middle Schooling
EDN701 – Foundation Principles of Middle Schooling
END102 – Understand Middle Years Learners
END702 – Understand Middle Years Learners
EDN103 – Realising Sustainable Middle Years
EDN703 – Realising Sustainable Middle Years
EDN104 – Action Research in Middle Years
EDN704 – Action Research in Middle Years
There have been no other changes to this course.
To qualify for the award of Graduate Certificate in Middle Years Education students must complete a total of four units.
The maximum period for completing this program is 2 years.
Credit may be awarded for study undertaken at another tertiary institution and students are encouraged to contact the Griffith (OUA) Services for further information.
As long as you meet the eligibility requirements for application to this degree, you can apply online now:
When you have completed your final session of study, OUA students should notify Griffith University of their intention to graduate with the award of Graduate Certificate in Middle Years Education. Please contact Griffith (OUA) Services on
Eligible OUA students can access the government loan scheme known as FEE-HELP. You pay back the loan through your taxes once your income reaches a minimum threshold.
Who can access it?
- Australian citizens who will undertake, in Australia, at least one unit of study contributing to their course
- Permanent humanitarian visa holders who will be resident in Australia for the duration of their unit
- Permanent visa holders who are undertaking bridging study for overseas-trained professionals, and will be resident in Australia for the duration of their study
- Credit card (Visa and MasterCard)
- Money order
You should make cheques and money orders payable to 'Open Universities Australia' and send them to:
Open Universities Australia
GPO Box 5387
Save it for later
Make this course a favourite and add it to your OUA wishlist. You can come back to it whenever you're in My Study Centre
Ready to enrol?
Start enrolling for units
in this course now.
Got a question?
Get an answer from one of our friendly Student Advisors.