Download a course guide
Get advice on this course
The Graduate Certificate (TESOL) focuses specifically on Teaching English to Speakers of Other Language practices in Australia and the South East Asian region.
This course assists experienced, practising teachers in their career development by providing them with an additional specialist teaching area. For teachers who wish to add TESOL to their professional repertoire, this Certificate will provide them with a qualification which will allow them to work within the field in their current employment and assist with applications for positions at specialist language centres in Australia and overseas.
At the completion of this course students will be able to:
- an ability to apply the theoretical principles and concepts which underpin contemporary TESOL (Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages) specific practices
- an understanding of the diverse needs of students and an ability to frame creative solutions to problems of pedagogy
- an ability to access key texts in the field, and to analyse critically key concepts in the field and an ability to synthesise information from a variety of theoretical and practical perspectives
- an ability to communicate effectively, including the ability to communicate key concepts relevant to TESOL
- an awareness of available technologies and an insight into how they can be used creatively to a specific advantage in TESOL
- an awareness of the importance of self-directed learning for professional growth and a demonstrated ability to take responsibility for individual intellectual development
- an awareness of the theoretical and practical implications for TESOL in a global context
- an appreciation of the value of cultural and linguistic diversity and its place in TESOL
- a demonstrated ability to work both independently and as part of a team; plan a challenging and supportive learning environment.
A world-wide need has been identified for specialist English language teachers. There are three main groups who would benefit from the completion of this qualification: Practising teachers in all sectors - to develop an additional specialist teaching area; Qualified teachers currently working overseas as TESOL teachers who feel they are being hampered by a lack of formal qualifications; First-language speakers of languages other than English who work as English language teachers in their own countries may find that a qualification from a university in an English-speaking country would assist their career.
When the course is undertaken by practising teachers from other disciplines, successful completion of the Certificate will provide an additional specialised teaching area. Successful completion of the Certificate will provide a qualification which will allow graduates to be considered for specialist ESL and EFL teaching positions at language centres in Australia and overseas.
Below is link to the list of state-based teacher registration bodies for reference.
State-based Teacher Registration Bodies (PDF, 30Kb)
A four year undergraduate degree in teaching including evidence to show the assessed practicum component
A bachelor degree and a one year postgraduate degree in teaching including evidence to show the assessed practicum component
A bachelor degree and a CELTA qualification including evidence to show the assessed practicum component
* Note: A certificate IV in training and assessment is not an approved teaching qualification for entry into this program.
English Language Proficiency Requirements
Applicants need to meet Curtin’s English Language requirement as all courses are taught in English. If your education courses were not solely in English, as per the International Handbook of Universities or the World Higher Education database, please attach a scanned original copy of English Proficiency Test results. Admission requires an overall International English Language Testing System (IELTS Academic) (or equivalent test) score of at least 6.5 and competence in all test components (IELTS score of 6.0).
Please refer to the 'Minimum English Entry Requirements' document at http://students.curtin.edu.au/local/docs/English_List.pdf.
To qualify for the Graduate Certificate in TESOL students must complete 4 units or equivalent.
Applications for Credit for Recognised Learning (CRL) are assessed on a case by case basis according to Curtin University policies which is available at http://policies.curtin.edu.au/local/docs/policy/Credit_for_Recognised_Learning_Manual.pdf.
Students must be admitted in an award course of study before lodging their completed CRL application, along with all necessary documentation for a formal assessment.
To officially apply for CRL, students need to submit the CRL application form available from http://students.curtin.edu.au/administration/documents/Application_for_CRL.pdf to email@example.com along with supporting documents. Accepted documentation includes scans of the original Transcripts and/or Award Certificate; front and back; in colour; and original size. For detailed scanned documents requirements and guidelines, please visit http://courses.curtin.edu.au/course_overview/admission-requirements/scanned-documents.cfm.
For further information, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Eligible OUA students can access the government loan scheme known as FEE-HELP. You pay back the loan through your taxes once your income reaches a minimum threshold.
Who can access it?
- Australian citizens who will undertake, in Australia, at least one unit of study contributing to their course
- Permanent humanitarian visa holders who will be resident in Australia for the duration of their unit
- Permanent visa holders who are undertaking bridging study for overseas-trained professionals, and will be resident in Australia for the duration of their study
- Credit card (Visa and MasterCard)
- Money order
You should make cheques and money orders payable to 'Open Universities Australia' and send them to:
Open Universities Australia
GPO Box 5387
Save it for later
Make this course a favourite and add it to your OUA wishlist. You can come back to it whenever you're in My Study Centre
Ready to enrol?
Start enrolling for units
in this course now.
Got a question?
Get an answer from one of our friendly Student Advisors.