Download a course guide
Get advice on this course
Please note: The application for the Master of Project Management (Defence Industry) has been removed as this course is no longer on offer for new students. A 2-year Master of Project Management is available for interested applicants.
The aim of this course is to provide an advanced and integrated understanding of how project management best practice can be applied to the defence industry for the management of complexity and logistics, and to enhance procurement and contact management outcomes.
You have a range of options in respect to your study. You can undertake the course at Graduate Certificate (4 units), Graduate Diploma (8 units) or Masters level (12 units).
On the completion of the Master of Project Management (Defence Industry) course students will:
- have gained an advanced and integrated understanding of a discipline-specific body of knowledge
- demonstrate autonomy and expert judgement, adaptability and responsibility as a practitioner
The units in this course have been developed to ensure graduates can:
- work independently
- work in teams
- gain an awareness of ethical and professional standards
- be problem solvers
- gain critical analysis and evaluation
Applicants to the Master of Project Management degree are required to have one of the following:
- An AQF Level 7 Bachelor degree qualification in any discipline area or equivalent work experience, which would qualify students for entry at the start of the program for completion in 1.5 years of full-time study or part-time equivalent
- An AQF Level 8 Bachelor degree with Honours or Graduate Certificate qualification in Project Management or equivalent, which would qualify students for 0.5 EFTSL advanced standing, enabling them to complete the program in 1.0 years of full-time or equivalent part-time study.
English Language Requirements
For applicants for whom English is a second language, the minimum English language requirements are:
- International English Language Testing System (IELTS Academic): with a minimum overall score of 7.0 obtained within the last two years or corresponding results from an equivalent test such as TOEFL; or
- Successful completion of a tertiary qualification at diploma level or above completed in Australia within the last two years; or
- Successful completion of two or more years of tertiary study at diploma level or above conducted and completed in English within the last five years in a country in which English is an official language; or English is commonly used, as determined by the university.
Students are able to form their own study path, but are requested to enrol in the unit, MPM411 Principles of Project Management at the first opportunity as this is the pre-requisite for other units in this course.
To qualify for the Master of Project Management (Defence Industry) qualification, students must complete all 12 units.
Credit will be administered as per University of South Australia policy. A maximum of one third of the course can be credited based on previous external studies. Students wishing to claim credits should apply prior to enrolling.
Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL) will be considered where an applicant holds a Diploma (AQF Level 5) or higher in a cognate subject. Please contact the University of South Australia for further information on applying for RPL.
Eligible OUA students can access the government loan scheme known as FEE-HELP. You pay back the loan through your taxes once your income reaches a minimum threshold.
Who can access it?
- Australian citizens who will undertake, in Australia, at least one unit of study contributing to their course
- Permanent humanitarian visa holders who will be resident in Australia for the duration of their unit
- Permanent visa holders who are undertaking bridging study for overseas-trained professionals, and will be resident in Australia for the duration of their study
- Credit card (Visa and MasterCard)
- Money order
You should make cheques and money orders payable to 'Open Universities Australia' and send them to:
Open Universities Australia
GPO Box 5387