Download a course guide
Get advice on this course
Study Commerce (Accounting) on Demand with UniSA Online and take full control over your study. Access support seven days a week, engage with course content from day one, view learning resources 24/7, and log into the interactive online environment anywhere, any time and on any device.
This is a globally competitive degree respected internationally for its quality and relevance to the accounting profession.
Ranked in the top one per cent worldwide1, the UniSA Business School is one of the largest leading providers of accounting and finance education in Australia and Asia.
This 100% online degree is accredited by Chartered Accountants Australia and New Zealand, CPA Australia, and the Chartered Institute of Management Accountants (CIMA).
1UniSA Business School is one of just nine institutions in the country and 163 globally to be accredited by EQUIS. There are a total pool of 16,585 business schools worldwide, AACSB, July 2016
Designed specifically for online learning, the 100% online Commerce (Accounting) degree will develop your business knowledge, and skills in financial and management accounting, taxation, company law, and auditing.
You will learn about the types of influences affecting global business from economic to legal and political impacts.
In this degree, you will firstly begin with the core business subjects to provide you with a solid grounding in areas including:
- accounting and quantitative methods for business
- business law, finance, business intelligence and data management
- economics and marketing principles
Following this, you will focus on your accounting specialisation and learn skills such as:
- financial and management accounting
- taxation and company law
- sustainability accounting
- global and contemporary accounting issues
- strategic financial analysis
As a graduate, you gain strong communication skills with important reporting, analytical, decision-making and problem solving skills. These will be invaluable to launch or advance your career.
As a UniSA Online graduate, you’ll be eligible for membership with CPA Australia, Chartered Accountants Australia and New Zealand, the global Association of Chartered Certified Accountants (ACCA), the Association of International Accountants (AIA), and the Chartered Institute of Management Accountants (CIMA).
Graduates could consider the following careers:
- Practicing accountant
- Tax accountant and advisor
- Forensic accounting
- Business advisor
- Auditor/Risk consultant
The degree is accredited by:
- CPA Australia and satisfies the educational requirements for entry into the CPA Program.
- Chartered Accountants Australia and New Zealand and satisfies the educational requirements for entry into the Chartered Accountants Program.
- Chartered Institute of Management Accountants (CIMA) and recognised for maximum exemptions for an accelerated pathway into CIMA's professional qualification.
This degree is also recognised for maximum exemptions towards:
- the Association of Chartered Certified Accountants' (ACCA) professional programs of study.
- the Association of International Accountants' (AIA) professional examinations.
This UniSA Online degree is currently available for Commonwealth supported students.
Applicants are required to fulfil at least one of the following requirements with a competitive result and meet any other academic requirements for the program:
- successfully completed equivalent to a minimum of half a year of full-time study of a higher education program at a recognised higher education provider
- completed an award from a registered training organisation at Certificate IV level or above
- passed a UniSA Online literacy and numeracy test and have relevant work experience
- completed a secondary education qualification equivalent to SACE, such as an interstate year 12 or international qualification
- completed a UniSA Foundation Studies Program or equivalent
- qualified for Special Entry
For more information or if you are unsure of your eligibility please contact an OUA Student advisor on 1300 729 424
Note: The program structure is subject to change at any time. (Information correct as at October 2017)
- UO Critical Approaches to Online Learning (CURR 3021)*
*This subject is common to all UniSA Online degrees and will be offered multiple times each year to enable students to commence their program of study at any time. Students who are studying part-time must take this subject first before they study any other subjects in their chosen degree. Students who are studying full time may take this subject and one other subject in the same study period.
- UO Business and Society(BUSS 1067)
- UO Accounting for Business(ACCT 1011)
- UO Business Law(LAWS 1019)
- UO Quantitative Methods for Business(MATH 1075)
- UO Financial Accounting 1(ACCT 1012)
- UO Marketing Principles: Trading and Exchange(MARK 1018)
- UO Principles of Economics(ECON 1010)
- UO Financial Accounting 2(ACCT 2015)
- UO Management Accounting(ACCT 2016)
- UO Business Finance(BANK 2010)
- UO Business Intelligence(INFS 2038)
- UO Financial Accounting 3(ACCT 3014)
- UO Companies and Partnership Law(COML 2020)
- UO Management and Organisation(BUSS 2081)
- UO Sustainability Accounting and Reporting(ACCT 3015)
- UO Auditing Theory and Practice(ACCT 3012)
- UO Contemporary Issues in Accounting(ACCT 3013)
- UO Taxation Law 1(ACCT 3016)
- UO Strategic Financial Analysis(BUSS 3098)
- UO International Business Environment - BUSS2080
- UO Management of Industrial Relations - BUSS3090
- UO Strategic Management - BUSS3097
^Two electives in the final year are required to be at an advanced level and must be chosen from the suggested electives list for this degree. Other electives may be chosen from the UniSA Online electives list. Subject pre-requisites must be satisfied.
*Recognition for prior learning (RPL) may be granted for this subject to students who have completed relevant work experience as per the UniSA Online RPL framework. Further credit will be assessed in line with the UniSA RPL policy.
Completion of 24 units including 4 electives.
You don't need to apply to study this degree - you can work towards the qualification by enrolling in units.
Enrolling in units
To get started, take a look at the Recommended study pattern in the Units in this course section. Then you can start adding units to your Study Cart. Once in the Study Cart, click the Enrol now button and follow the steps to enrol.
Eligible OUA students can access the government loan scheme known as FEE-HELP. You pay back the loan through your taxes once your income reaches a minimum threshold.
Who can access it?
- Australian citizens who will undertake, in Australia, at least one unit of study contributing to their course
- Permanent humanitarian visa holders who will be resident in Australia for the duration of their unit
- Permanent visa holders who are undertaking bridging study for overseas-trained professionals, and will be resident in Australia for the duration of their study
- Credit card (Visa and MasterCard)
- Money order
You should make cheques and money orders payable to 'Open Universities Australia' and send them to:
Open Universities Australia
GPO Box 5387
Save it for later
Make this course a favourite and add it to your OUA wishlist. You can come back to it whenever you're in My Study Centre
Ready to enrol?
Start enrolling for units
in this course now.
Got a question?
Get an answer from one of our friendly Student Advisors.