Download a course guide
Get advice on this course
RMIT has been awarded a 5-star rating by the Graduate Management Association of Australia for its MBA (Executive), and this program has just been awarded the European Foundation for Management Development accreditation for a period of three years.
Leadership infused with Business Design Thinking: Empowering aspiring professionals to lead change with innovation.
The Master of Business Administration (Executive) develops forward thinking leaders underpinned by contemporary business knowledge, practice and research. The course is infused with principles of business design, enabling you to create, innovate, lead and manage complex initiatives within uncertain globally connected environments.
Business leadership grounded in design means that as a graduate, you will understand the importance of analysing the architecture of business problems and the value that prototyping, creativity and synthesis bring to the creation of sustainable solutions that are end user driven. You will be equipped with the skills to effectively drive innovation and change so as to create ongoing value for your organisation and the communities it serves. The course uses an adult and facilitated learning approach to delivery, and authentic assessment. Learning activities and experiences are a combination of issue-based seminars, case study analyses, simulation, exploration of readings and research, and facilitated discussions. Assessment tasks will require you to integrate relevant academic theory with contemporary practice, and apply this within authentic, workplace settings.
The capstone unit Executive Consulting will give you the opportunity to critically reflect on this program’s curriculum. The unit will promote the integration and synthesis of a range of knowledge and skills gained in the course and the application of these in discipline related real-world scenarios leading to work readiness. This unit includes a 4 day intensive.
Please note: Two of the electives are offered as intensive study tours in Vietnam and France. Students must have completed two core units before enrolling in an intensive study tour.
In this course you will integrate your professional knowledge and skills, current business practice and research principles to provide client focused solutions, leadership, and make executive decisions grounded in design theory within a global business environment.
On successful completion of this course you will be able to:
- Utilise a broad range of contemporary business knowledge, underpinned by continuous learning, in a manner that is culturally, socially and politically appropriate.
- Apply design thinking to complex problems and opportunities to develop creative solutions.
- Design client focused, forward thinking solutions to complex global problems and opportunities.
- Identify, communicate and advocate effective solutions that will address complex problems and opportunities.
- Lead people and organisations in an ethical sustainable manner to design solutions that add value to the organisations and the communities they serve.
- Apply and integrate professional theory with practice in authentic Work Integrated Learning (WIL) contexts, professional contexts and industry settings.
- Apply research principles and methods to design innovative options and solutions for, and make reasoned judgments about, problems and issues in contemporary business practice.
The MBA (Executive) at RMIT has just been awarded the "EPAS" accreditation, a prestigious global endorsement awarded to only three other MBA programs in Australia.
EPAS (EFMD Programme Accreditation System) is a prestigious international program accreditation system which evaluates the quality of business and management programs that have an international perspective. The EPAS community represents some of the very best institutions across the globe, including Australia.
Students and graduates may be eligible for membership of the Australian Institute of Management www.aim.com.au.
Please note: Course applications are due on Friday, 1 week prior to close of enrolment.
Academic Entrance requirement
You must meet one of the following Academic requirements:
- Australian Bachelor degree or equivalent in any discipline with a minimum grade point average (GPA) of 2.0 (out of 4.0); or
- Australian Bachelor degree or equivalent in any discipline with a minimum GMAT of 600; or
- Successful completion of the RMIT Graduate Certificate in Business Administration (Executive); or
- Australian Graduate Certificate, Graduate Diploma or Masters degree or equivalent in any discipline with a minimum grade point average (GPA) of 2.0 (out of 4.0); or
- Australian Graduate Certificate, Graduate Diploma or Masters degree or equivalent in any discipline with a minimum GMAT of 600
Work Experience Requirement
A minimum of 3 years experience in a management role with supervisory responsibilities.
English Language Requirements
For information on English Language Requirements and acceptable English Language tests please see:
Please note: Some units in this course require you to attend sessions in Melbourne.
MBA (Executive) students should complete all units within a stage prior to moving to the next stage:
- Design Thinking for Business (Executive) - commencement unit
- Leading People and Organisations
- Accounting for Business Decisions
- Financial Management
- Managing Technology and Innovation Strategy
- Managing Business Operations
- Creating Business Strategies
- Business Research Design
- Select and complete Two (2) units from any approved postgraduate elective
- Executive Consulting - completion unit
To qualify for the MBA (Executive) students must complete 10 core units and 2 electives for a total of 12 units.
The MBA (Executive) has two early exit points.
Most units in the MBA (Executive) are delivered online.
BUSM4521 Design Thinking for Business (Executive) and BUSM4524 Executive Consulting requires attendance in Melbourne, Australia.
Applicants with enquiries about units with attendance requirements are encouraged to contact Business Central email@example.com.
Students who successfully complete the Graduate Certificate in Business Administration (Executive) will articulate to the MBA (Executive) with advanced standing, and will be required to complete eight (8) units in order to qualify for the degree.
Credits and exemptions will be assessed consistent with the principles of the RMIT University’s Credit Policy.
If you wish to apply for RPL or Credit, please complete the below PDF form and attach it to your course application.
If you have already submitted your course application, please send your RPL/Credit application directly to RMIT at firstname.lastname@example.org
RMIT_Credit_RPL_Application_Form.pdf (661 KB)
Eligible OUA students can access the government loan scheme known as FEE-HELP. You pay back the loan through your taxes once your income reaches a minimum threshold.
Who can access it?
- Australian citizens who will undertake, in Australia, at least one unit of study contributing to their course
- Permanent humanitarian visa holders who will be resident in Australia for the duration of their unit
- Permanent visa holders who are undertaking bridging study for overseas-trained professionals, and will be resident in Australia for the duration of their study
- Credit card (Visa and MasterCard)
- Money order
You should make cheques and money orders payable to 'Open Universities Australia' and send them to:
Open Universities Australia
GPO Box 5387
All existing students will be transitioned to the new program structure, and all course credits that have already been obtained will be recognised in the new structure.
The transition rules below will apply to students who have commenced the program prior to Session 1, 2016.
OMBA600 Business in a Global Context
If you HAVE completed OMBA600 Business in a Global Context prior to Sess 1 2016 you will not be required to complete BUSM4521 Design Thinking for Business (Exec) as a core course, however you can take this as one of your electives if you wish.
If you HAVE NOT completed OMBA600 prior to Sess 1 2016 you will be required complete BUSM4521 as one of your core courses as per the new Program Structure.
You are not required to complete OMBA600 as a core unit, but can complete it as an elective if you wish.
OMBA640 Corporate Social Responsibility & the Law
If you HAVE completed OMBA640 Corporate Social Responsibility & the Law prior to Sess 1 2016 you will not be required to complete BUSM4527 Managing Business Operations as a core unit, however you can take this as one of your electives if you wish.
If you HAVE NOT completed Corporate OMBA640 prior to Sess 1 2016 you will be required complete BUSM4527 as one of your core units as per the new Program Structure.
You are not required to complete OMBA640 as a core unit.
OMBA670 Change and Innovation
If you HAVE completed OMBA670 Change and Innovation prior to Sess 1 2016 you will not be required to complete BUSM4530 Managing Technology & Innovation Strategy as a core unit, however you can take this as one of your electives if you wish.
If you HAVE NOT completed OMBA670 prior to Sess 1 2016 you will be required complete BUSM4530 as one of your core units as per the new Program Structure.
You are not required to complete OMBA670 as a core unit, but can complete it as an elective if you wish.
OMBA700 Strategic Business Leadership
If you HAVE completed OMBA700 Strategic Business Leadership prior to Sess 1 2016 you will not be required to complete BUSM4524 Executive Consulting as a core unit, however you can take this as one of your electives if you wish.
If you HAVE NOT completed OMBA700 prior to Sess 1 2016 you will be required complete BUSM4524 as one of your core units as per the new Program Structure.
BUSM4449 Business Research Design
From Sess 1 2016, BUSM4449 Business Research Design will become a core unit, this will replace one elective in the course structure. As a result, the MBA (Executive) will now have only two elective units in the structure rather than three.
The transition rules relating to BUSM4449 Business Research Design are provided in the table below:
If you HAVE completed 3 Postgraduate Electives prior to Sess 1 2016 you will not be required to complete BUSM4449
If you HAVE NOT completed 3 Postgraduate Electives prior to Sess 1 2016, you will be required to complete BUSM4449 as a core unit.
You should only complete 2 Postgraduate Electives:
If you HAVE completed OMBA350 MBA Research Project prior to Sess 1 2016 it will be considered equivalent to BUSM4449 Business Research Design. In this circumstance, OMBA350 will be considered as a core unit in your program structure and you should not complete BUSM4449.