Vehicle Body Builders and Trimmers
Vehicle Body Builders and Trimmers assemble, construct and repair parts for vehicle bodies, production units and interior trims. They should have strong attention to detail abilities and be familiar with working components and details in automobiles and operate at high standards.
- Starting salary: $49,000 P/A Senior salary: $78,000 P/A Average salary: $62,000 P/A Wages will vary according to your level of skill, experience and employer Employment level: 4,900 as of November 2012 (Projected employment levels in 2017 of 5,000)
Average weekly hours: Average weekly hours worked for a full time Vehicle Body Builder and Trimmer is 39 hours
Employment by region:
The top three regions for employment as a Vehicle Body Builders and Trimmer include:
- QLD: 28.1%
- VIC: 25.2%
- NSW: 21.0%
Courses you may be interested in
- Graduate Diploma of Technology (Business Systems) Swinburne University of Technology Level: Postgraduate Qual.: Graduate Diploma Units: 12 units More info
- Graduate Diploma in Logistics and Supply Chain Management University of South Australia Level: Postgraduate Qual.: Graduate Diploma Units: 8 units More info
- View all courses 164 courses 12 universities 1 provider View all courses from Australia's leading universities. More info
Employment for Vehicle Body Builders and Trimmers has declined by a rate of -18.3% over the past 5 years however is expected to grow slightly through 2017.
Total employment growth over the past 5 years for male and female, employed part-time and full-time has declined by -1,800
Gender (including full time and part time)
The percentage of males and females working full time and part time are:
- Male Full Time: 91.2%
- Male Part Time: 8.8%
- Female Full Time: 0.0%
- Female Part Time: 0.0%
Other relevant information
- Construct trim in interior of vehicles including floor covering, framework lining, armrests, etc.
- Mould, cut and shape aluminium, sheet metal and strengthened plastic panels and connect to framework.
- Nail, bolt, screw and solder individual parts of vehicles and weld components together.
- Position and fasten door trims, rubber seals, locks and handles to vehicle components.
- Select, cut and sew interior fabric materials together using industrial sewing machines.
- Use a variety of shaping, cutting and welding tools and equipment to build framework for metal, wood and fibreglass sections.
- Use drawings and blueprints to create trim work for new vehicles, taking out previous coverings and meeting specifications.
- Critical Thinking Skills
- Manual Agility
- Problem Solving Abilities
- Strong Attention to Detail
Vehicle Body Builders and Trimmers typically work Mondays to Fridays, but may be required to work evenings or weekends in order to finish large orders on time. They usually work in automobile production sites and factories, manually constructing framework and individual components in vehicles.
Professional associations / Industry information
Related jobs and job titles
- Automotive Body Repairer
- Brake Mechanic
- Light Engine Mechanic
- Light Vehicle Motor Mechanic
- Panel Beater
- Vehicle Painter