A Private Teacher/Tutor is a teacher for hire for specific subject areas. Private teachers are also referred to as governesses, tutors, instructors, or coaches. Subject areas are not limited to academia, but may also include activities such as dance, martial arts, or drama. Private teachers may teach individuals or groups of students.
- Starting salary: $50,000 P/A Senior salary: $75,000 P/A Average salary: $58,000 P/A Wages will vary according to your level of skill, experience and employer Employment level: 30,700 as of November 2011 (compared to 22,900 as of November 2000)
Average weekly hours: Average weekly hours worked for a full time Tutors / Private Teachers is 42 hours
Employment by region:
The top three regions for employment as a Teacher (Private) include:
- NSW: 36.7%
- QLD: 20.2%
- VIC: 19.0%
Courses you may be interested in
- Graduate Certificate in Tertiary Teaching Curtin University Level: Postgraduate Qual.: Graduate Certificate Units: 4 units More info
- Graduate Certificate in Sports Coaching Griffith University Level: Postgraduate Qual.: Graduate Certificate Units: 4 units More info
- Graduate Certificate in eLearning University of New England Level: Postgraduate Qual.: Graduate Certificate Units: 4 units More info
- View all courses 162 courses 11 universities 2 provider View all courses from Australia's leading universities. More info
Employment for Tutors and Private Teachers has grown at a rate of 11.8% over the past 5 years and is expected to grow moderately over the next 5 years.
Total employment growth over the past 5 years for male and female, employed part-time and full-time is 5,600
Gender (including full time and part time)
The percentage of males and females working full time and part time are:
- Male Full Time: 5.9%
- Male Part Time: 20.0%
- Female Full Time: 14.5%
- Female Part Time: 59.7%
A Private Teacher, Instructor, or Tutor can expect to work in a number of settings. Depending on the topic being taught, a private teacher may meet in an art studio or dance hall or a classroom. Some private tutors work from home or in the homes of students and a few can even work online. Tutoring or private teaching hours vary based on student schedules and personal preference.