Boilermakers Assistants provide support to Boilermakers in cutting, shaping, assembling and welding steel to construct and repair metal products for boilers, ships, iron and steel structures and other vessels.
- Starting salary: $33,500 P/A Senior salary: $50,000 P/A Average salary: $40,000 P/A Wages will vary according to your level of skill, experience and employer Employment level: 10,600 as of November 2012 (Projected employment levels in 2017 of 8,300)
Average weekly hours: Average weekly hours worked for a full time Boilermakers Assistant is 40.2 hours.
Employment by region:
The top three regions for employment as a Boilermakers Assistant include:
- NSW: 32.7%
- QLD: 19.8%
- VIC: 17.2%
Courses you may be interested in
Employment for Boilermakers Assistants has declined by -31.4% over the past 5 years and is expected to further decline through 2017.
Total employment growth over the past 5 years for male and female, employed part-time and full-time has declined by -3,300.
Gender (including full time and part time)
The percentage of males and females working full time and part time are:
- Male Full Time: 86.6%
- Male Part Time: 8.5%
- Female Full Time: 4.2%
- Female Part Time: 0.7%
Other relevant information
- Adhere to strict occupational health and safety guidelines
- Assist in the selection and collection of appropriate materials, methods, equipment and tools necessary to complete the job
- Complete products by washing, cleaning, chiselling, grinding and filing
- Finish products by washing, cleaning, chiselling, grinding and filing
- Follow instructions from Boilermakers and perform other duties as required
- Hold metal components in place or secure to workbenches to allow Boilermakers to carry out to cut, mould, twist, shape, punch and hammer metal
- Perform routine maintenance on tools and equipment
- Use a range of machinery, hand tools and welding equipment or CNC (Computer Numerically Controlled) machines
- Use a range of methods to assemble parts such as screwing, bolting, welding and riveting
- Able to Perform Manual Work
- Able to Work Well in a Team Environment
- Good Manual Dexterity with the Ability to Use Tools and Machinery
- Mechanical Aptitude
- Safety Awareness
- Strong Attention to Detail and Accuracy
Boilermakers Assistants may work regular Monday to Friday hours with some overtime on weekends. Others are required to work shift work. Boilermakers Assistants work in a variety of settings from small workshops to large industrial factories or other operations. They often work in hot, noisy conditions and are on their feet for long periods at a time.
Professional associations / Industry information
Related jobs and job titles
- Machinery Assembler
- Metal Engineering Process Worker
- Metal Trades Assistant
- Process Worker