The role of a Personal Assistant (often abbreviated PA) has evolved quite intensely over the past few years. Now, a personal assistant is someone who aids his/her superior in all matters, from business to personal issues. Personal assistants work in high-pressure environments and work in many different industries.
- Starting salary: $46,000 P/A Senior salary: $90,000 P/A Average salary: $63,000 P/A Wages will vary according to your level of skill, experience and employer Employment level: 53,200 as of November 2012 (Projected employment levels in 2017 of 47,100)
Average weekly hours: Average weekly hours worked for a full time Personal Assistant is 38.3 hours
Employment by region:
The top three regions for employment as a Personal Assistant include:
- VIC: 31.1%
- NSW: 31.0%
- QLD: 16.7%
Courses you may be interested in
- Bachelor of Arts Griffith University Level: Undergraduate Qual.: Bachelor Degree Units: 24 units More info
- Bachelor of Communication Griffith University Level: Undergraduate Qual.: Bachelor Degree Units: 24 units More info
- Bachelor of Business Swinburne University of Technology Level: Undergraduate Qual.: Bachelor Degree Units: 24 units More info
- View all courses 162 courses 11 universities 2 provider View all courses from Australia's leading universities. More info
Employment for Personal Assistants has declined by a rate of -3.4% over the past 5 years and is expected to decline through 2017.
Total employment growth over the past 5 years for male and female, employed part-time and full-time has declined by -6,800
Gender (including full time and part time)
The percentage of males and females working full time and part time are:
- Male Full Time: 2.5%
- Male Part Time: 0.6%
- Female Full Time: 74.5%
- Female Part Time: 22.3%
Other relevant information
- Handle day-to-day activities of his/her superior, including meetings, phone calls, e-mails, appointments, etc.
- Handle small but important matters like handling stationary, taking dictations, managing accounts, etc.
- Keep the superior updated on information acquired in letters, e-mails, etc.
- Unofficial duties may include rather personal matters for celebrities, millionaires, etc.
- When traveling, a personal assistant makes all arrangements and accompanies the superior if asked to do so
- Clarity of thought, alertness, and confidence are necessities
- Completing a certification program in a related field could increase ones chance of being hired
- Experience in an executive support role is preferable
- No formal education or training is required
- Patience, ability to stay calm in high-pressure situations
Personal Assistants may work in offices, but also travel on various occasions to attend meetings, conferences, etc. Personal assistants who work in offices usually work standard hours, but sometimes work evenings, weekends, long hours, or even work part-time. Personal assistants to celebrities work very irregular hours and often face tedious demands from their superiors.
Professional associations / Industry information
Related jobs and job titles
- Administrative Assistant
- Inventory and Supply Officer
- Office Administrator
- Office Professional
- Project Support Officer
- Word Processing Operator