The Open Universities Australia Student Declaration has been provided for a clear understanding of the expectations and obligations of students with regard to personal and academic conduct. All students are expected to comply with the requirements set down in the Student Declaration for the duration of their studies through OUA.
- I affirm that the information contained within this form is correct and I have read all information regarding the units in which I am enrolling.
- I acknowledge I have a responsibility to behave honestly, ethically and professionally in all of my dealings with Open Universities Australia and the provider institution(s) through which I am studying.
- I agree to act in accordance with the regulations, statutes and disciplinary procedures of each provider institution and the policies of Open Universities Australia.
- I acknowledge I may be prevented from enrolling with any other provider institution if I do not abide by the regulations, statutes and disciplinary procedures of each provider institution and the policies of Open Universities Australia.
- I agree to maintain the highest ethical standards of academic integrity in my work and to comply with the conventions of academic scholarship.
- I acknowledge I have a responsibility to appropriately acknowledge the contribution of others in all academic work and to recognize that plagiarism, cheating, collusion, fraud, fabrication or falsifications of data are not acceptable.
- I agree to be aware of and abide by the provider institutions' assessment policies including academic honesty and the consequences for acts of dishonesty that include cheating, plagiarism, collusion, fraud, fabrication or falsification of data.
- I understand I am expected to be aware of my individual rights and responsibilities regarding the proper use of copyright material.
- I have read and understood the Fees & Charges section on the OUA web site.
- I understand that there are eligibility requirements that must be met in order to be applicable for Commonwealth assistance
- I agree to pay any fees and charges from Open Universities Australia and/or the provider institution(s) arising from my enrolment and academic activity as detailed on a Summary of payment due document.
- I understand that there are fees and penalties for late enrolment(s) and/or unit swap(s) and that I am liable for these should I incur them.
- I understand that if my payment is not cleared by the close of enrolment date, I may be withdrawn from the units in that enrolment.
- I understand that failure to meet my financial obligations to Open Universities Australia and/or any provider institution may result in me being precluded from enrolling with any other provider institution and/or additional fees and/or restriction of services (i.e. I may not be permitted to add any units to a new or existing course enrolment, receive an award (graduate) or receive academic results until the debt is cleared.)
- I understand Open Universities Australia may provide my details to an external agent for the purpose of collecting any debts.
- I agree when I am engaging in online studies I will comply with Government laws (for example privacy laws, copyright, trademark, cyber-bullying), Open Universities Australia standards and the rules, policies and procedures of the provider institution(s).
- I agree not to use Open Universities Australia and/or any of the provider institutions' trademarks and logos without the appropriate authorization to do so.
- I agree not to use email inappropriately. Examples include chain mail that misuses or disrupts resources, harassing or hate mail (this includes language which is lewd, insulting, threatening bodily harm/death, general serious threat, planting statements to provoke third party stalking harassment), virus hoaxes, spamming or e-mail bombing attacks, junk mail or false identification.
- I understand Open Universities Australia can remove my access to online study sites if I place material online that is defamatory, aggressive, discriminatory, threatening, racist, sexually explicit or of an offensive nature.
- I agree not to use Open Universities Australia's e-learning resources for personal commercial purposes, financial gain or other gain.
- I acknowledge official university pages represent the provider institution(s) and are intended for the official business functions of the provider institution(s).
- I agree not to attempt to implement my own network infrastructure.
- I understand that if I rely on wireless transmission using radio frequency, it is expected I use some type of encryption.
- I agree I have a responsibility to treat all members of the staff and student community from Open Universities Australia and the provider institution(s) (which includes academic, teaching, administration and professional staff and other students), with respect and courtesy regardless of gender, age, ethnicity, social background, disability, sexual preference or religious beliefs and customs.
- I agree I have a responsibility to value the diversity of students and staff from Open Universities Australia and the provider institution(s) and to respect the rights of others to hold and express a range of viewpoints, and to express views with due consideration for the feelings of others and understanding of relevant ethical and cultural implications.
- I understand if I engage in threatening, harassing, discriminatory or bullying behavior towards other students and staff from Open Universities Australia and the provider institution(s) (including online communications) I may be liable for criminal prosecution and/or civil action together with any sanctions Open Universities Australia and/or the provider institution(s) choose to apply.
- I agree if I breach any of my obligations to Open Universities Australia and/or any provider institution, Open Universities Australia may, at its own discretion, provide details of my breach and any sanctions applied to all provider institutions.
- I agree that Open Universities Australia may collect personal information (including sensitive information) about me for the purposes of enrolling me in my selected unit(s) and managing my participation in my unit(s) and course(s).
- I understand that Open Universities Australia collects this information for the purposes of processing my application, assessing my entitlement to Commonwealth assistance under the Higher Education Support Act 2003, allocation of a Commonwealth Higher Education Student Support Number (CHESSN) to me and, with my agreement, advising me about new courses and reminders of enrolment closing dates.
- I understand that Open Universities Australia will disclose this information to the Department of Industry, Innovation, Science, Research and Tertiary Education (DIISRTE) for those purposes.
- DIISRTE will store the information securely in the Higher Education Information Management System
- DIISRTE may disclose the information to the ATO; and Open Universities Australia and DIISRTE will not otherwise disclose the information without my consent unless required or authorised by law
- I also agree that Open Universities Australia may use this information and disclose it to educational institutions which provide access to units and other resources through Open Universities Australia, the Department of Industry, Innovation, Science, Research and Tertiary Education (DIISRTE), and to Open Universities Australia's service providers, including financial institutions and print and mail houses.
- I agree that Open Universities Australia may communicate with me, either electronically or by mail, for the purpose of providing the services for which I am enrolling.
- I also understand that if requested, Open Universities Australia may disclose personal information collected about me to Centrelink and the Australian Tax Office to verify study loads and remission of debt.
- I acknowledge that if I do not provide this information, Open Universities Australia may not be able to enrol me in my selected unit(s). I also acknowledge that I have the right to access personal information which Open Universities Australia holds about me, subject to exceptions in relevant privacy legislation. A charge may apply for providing access.