Further Statistical Computing
Not sure where to start?
- Is online study right for me?
- Why OUA?
- What should I study?
- How does it work?
- How do I enrol?
Discover what's involved in studying through OUA.Find out more
To enrol in this unit, you must be accepted into a course from the provider.
Read before you start
Level of study: What does Postgraduate mean?
EFTSL: What does EFTSL mean?
Delivery Method: What does delivery method mean?
Availability: What is a Study period?For enrolment (2012): For forward planning* (2013): What is Forward Planning?
Government loans available:
- Domestic student fee:
- $1,950.00 (AUD)
- International student fee:
- $2,175.00 (AUD)
This unit aims to develop further skills in aspects of statistical computing. In particular you are introduced to the statistical software package SAS as a powerful tool for organising and analysing data. You will extend your knowledge of statistical and data management packages used in business, government institutions and research. Advanced file handling, data presentation and statistical procedures of the SAS package are also covered.
Please note: Assessment values are indicative only; details will be advised at the start of the unit.
You are recommended to have completed the following unit(s) or have equivalent knowledge before starting this unit:
- Additional materials
- Other special requirement — You will be asked to sign and return an agreement form in order to obtain a free copy of SAS 9.2. Note: SAS will only run on a Windows platform.
- Assignment 1 (20%)
- Assignment 2 (20%)
- Invigilated Exam (50%)
- Quiz (10%)
At the completion of this unit students will be able to:
- input data from EXCEL and questionnaire into SAS data sets
- sort and print data using Base SAS
- document SAS programs and output
- summarise and plot data using Base SAS
- tabulate data using Base SAS
- program DO LOOPS and ARRAYS
- work with Dates in SAS
- manage data with Base SAS
- implement statistical procedures in SAS
- use SAS Enterprise Guide.
This unit addresses the following topics.
|1||Intro to SAS and Display Manager|
|2||Overview of SAS data sets and programs|
|4||From questionnaire to SASs|
|5||Sorting and printing data|
|6||Documenting SAS programs and output|
|7||Summarising and presenting data|
|8||Other data analysis procedures and interfaces|
|10||Programming in SAS|
|11||Working with dates and management of SAS data sets|
|12||Statistical procedures and enterprise guide|
This unit is delivered using the following methods and materials:
- Discussion Forum/Discussion Board
- Online Quizzes/Tests
- Online assignment submission
- Web links
Print based materials
- Welcome Letter
- Printable format materials
Textbooks are subject to change within the academic year. Students are advised to purchase their books no earlier than one to two months before the start of a unit.
Click on the titles of the listed books below to find out more:
This unit is a core requirement in the following courses:
- Graduate Diploma of Science (Applied Statistics), Swinburne University of Tnlgy
- Master of Science (Applied Statistics), Swinburne University of Tnlgy
This unit may be eligible for credit towards other courses:
- Many undergraduate courses on offer through OUA include 'open elective' where any OUA unit can be credited to the course. You need to check the Award Requirements on the course page for the number of allowed open electives and any level limitations.
- In other cases, the content of this unit might be relevant to a course on offer through OUA or elsewhere. In order to receive credit for this unit in the course you will need to supply the provider institution with a copy of the Unit Profile in the approved format, which you can download here. Note that the Unit Profile is set at the start of the year, and if textbooks change this may not match the Unibooks textbook list.
Have a question? Give us a call.