Software Engineering Fundamentals
Not sure where to start?
- Is online study right for me?
- Why OUA?
- What should I study?
- How does it work?
- How do I enrol?
Discover what's involved in studying through OUA.Find out more
Level of study: What does Undergraduate Level 2 mean?
Undergraduate Level 2
EFTSL: What does EFTSL mean?
Delivery Method: What does delivery method mean?
Availability: What is a Study period?For enrolment (2012): For forward planning* (2013): What is Forward Planning?
Government loans available:
- Domestic student fee:
- $1,039.00 (AUD)
- International student fee:
- $1,264.00 (AUD)
This unit aims to guide you in both the theoretical and practical aspects of developing computer solutions for real-world problems. You will study the tools and techniques used in analysis and design of software systems, and apply those tools within a recognised software development methodology and within the context of a case study.
You are recommended to have completed the following unit(s) or have equivalent knowledge before starting this unit:
Or have equivalent programming experience before starting this unit.
- Assignment 1 (15%)
- Assignment 2 (15%)
- Assignment 3 (20%)
- Invigilated Exam (50%)
At the completion of this unit students will be able to:
- understand the theory and foundations of software engineering
- understand some key aspects of a software engineering process
- apply fact-finding and problem-solving skills
- determine the requirements for a software system
- create models for analysis of a software system
- understand some key aspects of models and processes for design of a software system
- understand the process of analysis and design using the object-oriented approach
- understand how to evaluate requirements for a software system
- be aware of current trends in the area of software engineering.
This unit addresses the following topics.
|2||Software engineering lifecycle|
|4||UML use cases|
|5||UML class and object diagrams|
|6||UML sequence and collaboration diagrams|
|7||Activity and state diagrams|
|8||Software testing and software quality assurance|
|11||Methodologies: rational unified process and XP|
This unit is delivered using the following methods and materials:
- Discussion Forum/Discussion Board
- Embedded Multimedia
- Online Quizzes/Tests
- Online assignment submission
- Podcasting/Lecture capture
- Standard Media
- Streaming Multimedia
- Web links
- Audio/Video - Streaming
- Printable format materials
- Resources and Links
Textbooks are subject to change within the academic year. Students are advised to purchase their books no earlier than one to two months before the start of a unit.
Click on the titles of the listed books below to find out more:
This unit is a core requirement in the following courses:
This unit may be eligible for credit towards other courses:
- Many undergraduate courses on offer through OUA include 'open elective' where any OUA unit can be credited to the course. You need to check the Award Requirements on the course page for the number of allowed open electives and any level limitations.
- In other cases, the content of this unit might be relevant to a course on offer through OUA or elsewhere. In order to receive credit for this unit in the course you will need to supply the provider institution with a copy of the Unit Profile in the approved format, which you can download here. Note that the Unit Profile is set at the start of the year, and if textbooks change this may not match the Unibooks textbook list.
Have a question? Give us a call.