Health Impact Assessment
Not sure where to start?
- Is online study right for me?
- Why OUA?
- What should I study?
- How does it work?
- How do I enrol?
Discover what's involved in studying through OUA.Find out more
To enrol in this unit, you must be accepted into a course from the provider.
Read before you start
Level of study: What does Postgraduate mean?
EFTSL: What does EFTSL mean?
Delivery Method: What does delivery method mean?
Prerequisites: What are the prerequisites?
Availability: What is a Session?For enrolment (2012):
- Sess 2
- Sess 2
Government loans available:
- Domestic student fee:
- $2,325.00 (AUD)
- International student fee:
- $2,550.00 (AUD)
Purpose of environmental impact assessments and the relevance of health impacts. Environmental health risk assessment and management. Procedures for environmental impact assessments. Case studies and investigations into environmental health impact studies. Integrated and holistic methods for environmental health audits. Ecological sustainable development.
- Case Study — Case study practical (45%)
- Essay (15%)
- Paper — Discussion paper (25%)
- Review — Critical review (15%)
At the completion of this unit students will be able to:
- describe and critically comment on the role and objectives of EIA
- demonstrate a knowledge of the legislative requirements for EIA in Western Australia and in your own country or state
- critically analyse the process of developing and evaluating an EIA with HIA implications
- recognise and evaluate factors influencing human health that should be considered as part of impact assessments
- understand the process and methods by which health impacts can be assessed
- integrate HIA into the EIA structure.
This unit addresses the following topics.
|2||The role and objectives of EIA & HIA|
|3||HIAs in Australia|
|4||The value of integrating health with environmental impact assessments|
|5||The HIA process: the preliminary stage|
|6||The HIA process: risk assessment|
|7||Health risk management and implementation|
|8||HIA report preparation and evaluation|
|9||Improvements in the HIA and EIA processes|
This unit is delivered using the following methods and materials:
- Discussion Forum/Discussion Board
- Embedded Multimedia
- Online assignment submission
- Podcasting/Lecture capture
- Standard Media
- Streaming Multimedia
- Web links
Textbook information for this unit is currently being updated and will be available soon. Please check back regularly for updates. Alternatively, visit the Unibooks website and enter the unit details to search for available textbooks.
This unit is part of a major, minor, stream or specialisation in the following courses:
This unit may be eligible for credit towards other courses:
- Many undergraduate courses on offer through OUA include 'open elective' where any OUA unit can be credited to the course. You need to check the Award Requirements on the course page for the number of allowed open electives and any level limitations.
- In other cases, the content of this unit might be relevant to a course on offer through OUA or elsewhere. In order to receive credit for this unit in the course you will need to supply the provider institution with a copy of the Unit Profile in the approved format, which you can download here. Note that the Unit Profile is set at the start of the year, and if textbooks change this may not match the Unibooks textbook list.
Have a question? Give us a call.